Front Spindle Oil Slinger

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Greg72

Front Spindle Oil Slinger

Post by Greg72 »

Hi All,

Are there two different sizes for the Slinger (Part #46 in the diagram above)... ??

I just picked up some rebuild parts and this is the slinger and rearmost seal that I received.

Looking at some videos on YouTube the slinger they show uses the same seal but the slinger itself is MUCH larger diameter.

It appears that the one they are using is large enough to cover the entire diameter of the rear spindle...

The one I ordered was the QU40058... does anyone know what the p/n is for that larger style? I assume that the larger one was the original version, and maybe it doesn't even matter and they ultimately work just the same but I'm trying to double-check all my parts to make sure that I've got all the correct stuff BEFORE the entire thing is pulled apart in my driveway.

Thanks!

EDIT: Think I figured it out. The video I was watching talked about D30 / D44 / D60 axles and how similar they are... but I think the demonstration they did was on a D60 which uses a larger axle slinger than the D44.

Here's the video I was referencing... fast-forward to the 9:50 mark to see the part.

https://youtu.be/04TLdU216sI?si=q80QoIVYDPkAyzS8

-G
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - !! NEW !!

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Front Spindle Oil Slinger

Post by Stuka »

Greg72 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:23 pm Hi All,

Are there two different sizes for the Slinger (Part #46 in the diagram above)... ??
Letting you know I broke this out to its own thread. The other thread was resolved, and this was technically a different question.

Glad you got it figured out.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Greg72

Re: Front Spindle Oil Slinger

Post by Greg72 »

Stuka wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:01 am
Greg72 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:23 pm Hi All,

Letting you know I broke this out to its own thread. The other thread was resolved, and this was technically a different question.

Glad you got it figured out.

Thanks!

I tend to overthink things... and in my zeal to research this repair (prior to actually tearing the whole knuckle assembly apart) had convinced myself that I didn't have the right parts to continue.

Feeling 90% confident now that if I disassemble everything, it will be possible to repair/rebuild in a single afternoon.

We shall see!!!

-G
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - !! NEW !!