Air Cleaner Hoses / Vac Lines

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Alleycat

Air Cleaner Hoses / Vac Lines

Post by Alleycat »

I purchased a used air cleaner for 360 in pics below in order to use instead of the aftermarket on there now. My truck is a 1976 that's had the air pump removed. This one was supposedly good for a 76' model but doesn't bear an exact resemblance to air cleaners I've seen in pics from that year. I've studied posts and the FSM but I'm not quite sure where to plumb the vac lines to this from the engine. The original 76 air cleaner in FSM appears to only have one "door/flapper" in the snorkel. Any help appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1976 J20 w/ 360

tgreese

Re: Air Cleaner Hoses / Vac Lines

Post by tgreese »

This air cleaner is from a newer vehicle, say 1982 or thereabouts. It has two air doors; one door admits hot air from the exhaust manifold stove, and the other closes the air cleaner when the engine is off to trap any vapors evaporating from the carburetor float bowl. The two vacuum devices set into the air cleaner body are temperature sensors that change the emissions plumbing dependent on ambient temperature. The air cleaner uses a flexible duct from the grille area to admit cold air from outside the engine compartment.

Up to you what you do with this. You could convert to the '82 era devices, or disable the extra parts and fall back to the '76 design. The '76 and '82 TSMs are available free to read and download at the Tom Collins site. These will cover what your '76 expects and what was there in '82.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

Yep, looks exactly like my 83 cherokee's aircleaner, except i removed the vacuum actuators, not needed on f.i. , shoild work in yours, u will need a manual to sort out where the lines hook up to, i gutted out the CTO'S , and run bare bones emissions.not reqd on vehicles registered antique or 30+ years old.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

The outer door for the hot air supply is the same as was used in 1976, and is something you'll want to keep if you run a carburetor. You can disable the inner "clean air" door by drilling through the most-inboard rivet and down through the opened inner door. Then put a sheet metal screw through the inner door to hold it open. The blue valve on the side is not present in '76, and can be ignored or covered over. The nipple on the bottom of the air cleaner controls the hot air supply door, and connects to manifold vacuum.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.