727 kickdown arm slop

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Anvil-3

727 kickdown arm slop

Post by Anvil-3 »

Hoping the hive mind here can help me.

I swapped in an allegedly reman 727 into my 89 wagoneer and have had a couple successful neighborhood cruises. Haven’t touched it in a few months and it drove like junk suddenly. I checked the TV cable (upgraded to lokar) and it was loose with a ton of slack. Getting back into readjusting it I noticed the arm on the transmission doesn’t spring fully back to the forward (idle) position on its own.

About the first 1/4” of travel of the arm on the trans just kinda flops wherever until suddenly there’s good spring pressure through to WOT.

I took a picture of the carb end to show how much I can manipulate the arm on the trans side without it returning to home…

I tried taking in all the slack and that was way worse and limited throttle.

My question is: is this slack normal? Generally I thought the TV cable (or linkage) should stay under tension but I know the stock one had some sort of slip system. Just trying to figure out if I need to dig into the trans or if this is normal behavior from a 727. Haven’t seen this situation on TH350’s or 700r4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1989 Grand Wagoneer - under the knife

dodgerammit

Re: 727 kickdown arm slop

Post by dodgerammit »

On mine (behind the LS) I took almost all the transmission side play out. There is still a little slack, but very minimal. It took a bit of trial and error on a couple of test drives to get it correct. You mention it was fine, but now not fine a few months later. That sounds like another issue to me.

I say start simple and logical. ie: Chances the Lokar setup changed from before = almost nil

Checked the fluid level?

As far as buying someone's supposed rebuilt anything, unless there's papers, I consider it a core.

I live in between Hickville and Podunkville, so nobody goes above and beyond oil changes.

"Transmission flush? What's that?"

"The axles had oil put in at the factory."

"My buddy rebuilt the transmission in his backyard shed. He's really good and really cheap!"

I have major trust issues when it comes to another's word anymore.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
Anvil-3

Post by Anvil-3 »

The trans I installed had an old reman tag, probably sat for 10y… I did the hillbilly thing and safety wired a carb return spring down there and still drove like junk under throttle. Reran the sniper wizard and suddenly things were back to normal running great. Probably a mix of the two thing but the sniper must lose memory when the battery is removed. I generally remove it if I know I won’t work on it for a month or two. Surprised it can’t hold memory, unless something else happened to throw off settings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1989 Grand Wagoneer - under the knife

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Well, that's good news then! I've heard the sniper continuously learns as you drive, so who knows? Glad you got it 'sorted'.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD