FSJ mechanic in MA

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Beach911

FSJ mechanic in MA

Post by Beach911 »

Does anyone have a good mechanic shop in the MA/New England area that has expertise in FSJ EFI conversions and general mechanical maintenance and upgrades. Looking to upgrade a few things on my ‘87 Grand Wagoneer and would love to find a go-to shop. Thanks a lot!

tgreese

Re: FSJ mechanic in MA

Post by tgreese »

Hmm. Just commenting - I'd think it would be hard to own an old car like this if you can't do your own work. Old Jeeps in general, and Wagoneers in particular, are oddballs in the automotive world.

Seems quite unlikely you will find someone nearby that has any knowledge or experience with installing EFI in a Wagoneer. Suggest you divide your search between someplace that can do your upgrades like EFI, and someplace that can do a good job on older cars with routine jobs like brakes and oil change and tune-ups. For the routine stuff, it's just an old car with nothing exotic, but places that still know how to do this stuff - or are willing to read the books - are scarce.

I'd start by asking on the forums and Facebook pages of the local Jeep and 4WD clubs in New England. They might know of a 4x4 specialty shop that could do your EFI and upgrades. Local car clubs might know of places that will work on old cars. IME some car clubs are really friendly, others are not, so cast a wide net. Maybe look for owners that have restored old cars in the area, and chat them up before asking for what you want. Go to local car shows and talk to owners. The Lars Anderson Museum is in Brookline, and they have indoor events this time of year. Maybe they can connect you with some enthusiasts. You get the idea?
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Beach911

Re: FSJ mechanic in MA

Post by Beach911 »

Thanks Tim. Appreciate it…definitely not the easiest vehicle to own, but very doable. I’ve used Greg’s Restorations in Rutland and they’re great…just a but far. Love Lars as well and am frequently there with some other cars I have. I’ll keep poking around. Appreciate your response.

Cheers!