Long Wait For Over The Counter Purchase

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
threepiece

Long Wait For Over The Counter Purchase

Post by threepiece »

Are you folks experiencing long wait times? I certainly am. The other day I went in to a John Deere dealer to purchase a key for my tractor. The counter man spent a minute or two looking up the correct key. He then got up, walked to the stock room and returned a minute later and placed the key on the counter in front of me. I had to stare at that key for over five more minutes while he (presumably) processed the purchase.
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

SJTD

Re: Long Wait For Over The Counter Purchase

Post by SJTD »

And retailers wonder why they are loosing sales to Amazon.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Or don’t have checkers at all🤬

I can check myself out and not go to the store
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Kowpie

Post by Kowpie »

It seems like everything we believed was stable and never changing has been turned upside down these last few years. I recently purchased AC brand spark plugs (my favorite for four decades) and they were made in China... We used to think when you went to the parts store/dealer you were getting quality parts and premium service. Just as you stated, this is no longer the case. I could go on ad infinitum, but then I might sound like the curmudgeon that I am. Are we just turning into the "well back in my day it was never like this" old crowd or has society changed that much and we are swirling down the toilet? Yes, Threepiece, I have experienced it in so many ways and it disturbs me to the core.
'65 Wagoneer, 230 OHC, IFS, Column Shift T90/D20
'73 J4000, 6000#, 258, T18/D20, 33", full disc.
'79 CJ7, 304, T18/D20, 35", 4.56, SOA, shackle reversal.

Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

Yeller wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:59 pm Or don’t have checkers at all🤬

I can check myself out and not go to the store
Ok. Normally I am in the same camp.

However, I went into Walmart and yesterday and had an epiphany when buying some fishing tackle.

It seems that through all of the inflation, the price for these products has generally remained the same.

As I am checking out at the newly renovated self-checkout lines, it occurred to me that in order to keep prices low (Walmart's mantra) they had to cut cost out somewhere. Hence, installing automation wherever possible.

I think that core products get hit harder by "inflation" since a lot of these grocery conglomerates have to keep shareholders happy. Walmart probably doesn't control these prices, but for the products they can negotiate pricing on they will opt to keep prices low at the expense of customer service.

I hate to say it, but during these times I will take more savings over customer service.
1968 J3500 - 1985 CJ7 - 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Liter Limited - 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited
Rhino USA Brand Success Manager
South East Offroad Activist

daryl2cb

Post by daryl2cb »

The tackle is probably so old, it was bought before all of the price issues. They rotate that stock assuming trout stuff is what you were after. CRAZY!!, is all I have to say, some items are 4 times as much, others are the same. Its odd. I did buy a smoke detector Saturday, plain jane runs on batteries at home depot, what should one cost you ask?? Well 20 bucks, maybe 30 if you were buying it from Rite Aid, lol. No.... this was 70 dollars and 67 cents... Unreal. Seems like some stuff they just quadruple to do so. I cant blame it on the stores, I have a good theory, but its not to be posted here, unfortunately you can't continue to pay people skilled wages for unskilled jobs at expect to not have issues. one small piece of the issue, but it does suck as it forces me to amazon more than I would like, but I am just not stupid enough to toss money away(lol, says the guy who just bought an 83 jeep).
1983 Wagoneer Limited on 37's (I am here for this guy!!)
1989 XJ Laredo- sitting needs parted- need anything? Very nice and complete
1992 XJ Briarwood- almost done- resto full pans, cargo floor, 4 inch OME lift 33's
2003 TJ - 4 inch lift, 35's ARB's F and R, 4.88's rustfree 74K
2012 JKU 3.5 inch ome lift,1 inch body, 4.56 gears on 36's 176K
2002 Camaro SS 6 speed, cam heads, 383 garage queen 24K
2024 Wagoneer 3 blue, wifes DD
2021 Powerwagon 75th my current DD

sonic4014

Post by sonic4014 »

Ha..kinda like fast food workers, I paid $15 bucks for a chicken sandwich meal at wendys! You hear about california setting minimum wage for ff workers to $20/hr?
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
2024 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT