Onelow1ton's bagged and body dropped grand wag build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

jaber
Vendor

Re: Onelow1ton's bagged and body dropped grand wag build

Post by jaber »

The rears are easy, but the fronts need a 4" center hole for the hub to fit through. Might want to check them on the front before spending any time on them. ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
Onelow1ton

Post by Onelow1ton »

jaber wrote:The rears are easy, but the fronts need a 4" center hole for the hub to fit through. Might want to check them on the front before spending any time on them. ;)

Oh no the front suspension and most of the front frame is getting removed to swap in an chevy s10 two wheel drive ifs suspension and yes I know it's narrower and the 5 lug to 6 lug adapters will make my new front end 1/2 narrower per side is ill have plenty of room to tuck those 22s all the way inside the fender with the body laying flat on the ground

Remember this is the look I'm going for \/\/\/\/ and any type of solid front axle will never work right for this set up

Also I got another guy that wants to trade me his chrome 22s and 265/35/22 tires for these painted rims , he is just checking the offset now for me so it they will fit like these did ill be trading as the chrome will look much better than black with all the stainless trim

Topic author
Onelow1ton

Post by Onelow1ton »

These are the chrome 22s that I might be trading for and both these and the black ones both came off a Colorado so they also require a 4" hub bore to fit not that it matters for me but if I was doing this on a solid axle they would still work just have to cut out the center caps up front

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

A solid axle will never work, the most I could get from the panel was 4.5" and that might be pushing it a bit.

That rendering looks great- I hope you hit the mark and yours turns out that nice!

Topic author
Onelow1ton

Post by Onelow1ton »

66stepside wrote: A solid axle will never work, the most I could get from the panel was 4.5" and that might be pushing it a bit.

That rendering looks great- I hope you hit the mark and yours turns out that nice!

I'm going to dam sure try to get it looking close to that , I'm still not sure what color I want the truck to be , I have my wheels I want when I'm done narrowed down to two different intro wheels both being 22" billets but I just can't see a end color yet , I got almost every other detail planed out in my head but color , but I do want it to have a stockish look to the body because it does have very classy /classic lines and styling , I think ill be keeping all the trim and door handles .

The body drop is starting to look like its going to be kind of easy (as far as stock floor body drops go) , all the suspension should be fairly easy also but I have not taken many measurements yet on this front frame and the s10 frame to truly plan out how I'm going to join the two up but it should not be to bad

Topic author
Onelow1ton

Post by Onelow1ton »

Ok so i traded the painted 22s for some chrome ones and I think the chrome will go much better on my wag with the chrome trim , wood grain and dark green paint

So here is a pic of one sitting in the grass in front of the stock tire

Here's some pix of the Gm Goodwrench crate 350 that ill be swapping in

theonetruegreg

Post by theonetruegreg »

I'm a much bigger fan of the 15" with trim rings and smoothie cap......hot rod surf wagon. Looks a lot more cohesive than modern, sleek wheels on a boxy wagon. Tip to tail, details all gotta match, I always say.

Topic author
Onelow1ton

Post by Onelow1ton »

I just copy pasted this from another forum I posted it on

So this weekend Chris hosted a chop/mod meet at his house so we could cut up his old s10 and weld in jays new krfabs no pro x-member , pix from meet here
http://www.355nation.net/forum/photogra ... -meet.html

So anyway Chris was kind enough to donate the front frame section to this project so I would like to thank him for that , and he also gave me the two peice drive shaft so hopefuly I can use it if have it modded to help save my floor when I bag and body the wag

Here are pix of the new parts

And my cousin has a set of stock lower control arms he is giving me also so only thing I need now to mock the front end up is drop spindles ,rotors , bearings , and all the missing nuts and bolts , and the 5 lug to 6 lug adapters

I hope to get started on this in the next month or so , I need to finish my dads c30 and I think I'm going to build a shed to clean the garage out so I have plenty of room to work on the wag then ill get started

TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Wow, that S10 steering box is WAY shinier than the one I picked up at the scrap yard last week :lol:
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.

Topic author
Onelow1ton

Post by Onelow1ton »

TUDrewser wrote:Wow, that S10 steering box is WAY shinier than the one I picked up at the scrap yard last week :lol:

Haha yeah my buddy Chris was in the proses of bagging his s10 so he was pulling everything apart and cleaning , pointing and replacing parts then he lost interest in the truck and it sat in the garage for about 5 years and he started parting it out last year , and last weekend I cut it up so he could scrap it

Topic author
Onelow1ton

Post by Onelow1ton »

Got some parts deliverd Wednesday , belltech 2" drop spindles from summit , 5 lug to 6 lug adapters from eBay , and rock auto sent me power sterring high psi hose, spindle nuts , dust caps , loaded calipers , balljoints , tie rod ends , adjusters , center link , bearings , seals , drilled and slotted rotors , idler arm . All mogg or ac delco, well the rotors are power stop

And I was out doing some better mesureing on where the wheels will fit in the wells and how much body drop it will take to lay rocker

I will be body dropping it 2.5"

I will not be running the 22s or 20s I have decided to get some 18" Detroit steel wheels real steel smoothies I'm going to use the chevy bow tie center caps i have and get there trim rings when they are released , I will be running a dimond back white wall falcon 235/45/18 with an 1.5" white wall

The reason for not doing 22s is I really don't want to redo the door latch on the rear doors right now , maybe in a few years but not now and also going with that 26.3" tall tire I will not have to remake hood hinges

Here is a pic of the wheels I want these are the 20 so mine will be 18 with a 1/2" fatter white wall and trim rings

Here are some pix of a cardboard cut out I used for a visual after I did my measuring
Center cap

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

This looks like it'll be fun. Nice pile of parts... :-bd
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

FirefighterIV

Post by FirefighterIV »

Ive Been Waiting for someone to drop a FSJ. ive always been a lifted guy, so i never considered it, but i love the look of a slammed truck. looking forward to seeing how this turns out. good luck with the build, ill be watching patiently!
Keep Calm & Chive on!

85 J10-20...the moneypit

"true happiness is a belt fed weapon... and an ammo factory"

Topic author
Onelow1ton

Post by Onelow1ton »

Ok got some more parts for it . Got two grills and some rare marker lights

As you can see the garage is a wreck right now so to help make room and get the garage organized I built this shed , still needs paint but will hold all the extra crap from the house and garage and I can keep the lawn mower in there instead of the garage

Also traded the 22s for not one but 2 used 700r4 trans one is a gm reman that is used and came out of a friends suburban that worked fine in that he took it out for an ls-4l80e swap the other came out of his parts truck and not sure how god it is but worst case it's a good core for a later rebuild if needed

So now that the shed is built ill be cleaning the garage this weekend and working to get the wagoneer in the garage to start taking it apart to start the bag, bodydrop ,& drive train swap

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Great-sounding build! When you mentioned not having to remake or remount hood hinges, that got me thinking about front inner fenders. Will you be able to keep those? Sounds like you can keep them but just curious.

Nice looking shed too.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
Onelow1ton

Post by Onelow1ton »

twisted frame wrote:Great-sounding build! When you mentioned not having to remake or remount hood hinges, that got me thinking about front inner fenders. Will you be able to keep those? Sounds like you can keep them but just curious.

Nice looking shed too.

Thanks I can't wait to get it in the garage and finally start building it !

Ill be keeping as much as the stock inner fenders as I can and then tub where I need to for clearance but I want to keep most of the sheet metal stockish looking or at least the areas modded to not stand out like a sore thumb

Thanks !

Topic author
Onelow1ton

Post by Onelow1ton »

I got the new to me body side trim today thanks to speedbuggy16v , thank you sir for your help !

And this billet grill is going to need a lot of work to make fit in the 85 grill shell but here it is just leaning on the grill

And I got the shed half painted , still needs a second coat of solid stain and then paint the trim and doors but I should get that done tomorrow , once that's done ill start bringing stuff over from the garage to make room for the wagoneer to go in the garage finally :)

06_footy

Post by 06_footy »

Totally looking forward to seeing the progress. Something very different. I like it.
1977 Jeep J10
AMC 360, Quadratrac, Long tubes w/ cat's deleted, True dual exhaust

Topic author
Onelow1ton

Post by Onelow1ton »

Ok finally some pix of some work actually getting done , this is from Friday , did not get to work on it today but will be working all day tomorrow on it also more pix Sunday evening

Had to winch it on and back off the trailer to get it in the garage

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Will be good to see some work getting done on it!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ