Considering SOA un-conversion

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
MadMax78

Considering SOA un-conversion

Post by MadMax78 »

Ok. I am considering removing my TTs SOA/Shackle Flip. When I bought my Cherokee it was already SOA plus a Superlift 4" lift and 37" boggers. Bumpsteer was a nightmare. I have since installed TTs SOA/Rear shackle flip and BJs offroad crossover steering kit to get rid of the PO hack job. Much better stearing but rides like a tank. Currently I am riding on 35s. The front sits roughly an inch higher than the rear (stock saggy rear springs).

In this configuration it is hard for the wife and kids to get in and out of. They need at least a foot tall step to help them get in. It also makes offroading interesting being so high. Also, I am wanting to make it a DD. So my question is How hard would it be to remove the TTs kit and install BJs Offroad 6" SUA lift kit? Or would it be simpler to install stock front springs instead? The main thing is I want it done right the first time. Any input is greatly appreciated.
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition

fulsizjeep

Re: Considering SOA un-conversion

Post by fulsizjeep »

Is this right? SOA/SF and 4" springs on front and blocks in back? 10 or so inches of lift? If yes, the 4" springs may be why it rides like a Mack. It will likely drive much nicer by taking out the 4" lift and run stock springs on the SOA/SF set up. Can you share a couple pictures of the Cherokee as it sits now?
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

I agree with Flint. With stock springs, it will sit better, and I would drop down to some 33 or 35" tires. The other thing that helps is a set of rock sliders. They help as steps for the kids getting in and out. :-bd
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

If the front perches were welded on properly with the correct amount of grinding it's probably going to be pretty involved to take it back to SUA.
If you can get me some good pic's of the diff side perch (top, bottom, front and rear) from about 2' away I can at least speculate what might need to happen.
If the rear SF kit was installed per the directions I doubt you are going to revert that without major fab work.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

If you're close to Seattle, we may be able to work something out.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

will e

Post by will e »

Soa with stockish springs will ride better than sua with 6" springs.

If you want to go sua, trade someone for their axle.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Just go back to stock springs. Will ride great and dot lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

I didn't think it would be easy but wanted to get some opinions first. Tad, When the SOA/SF was done the spring perches on the bottom of the front axle were left in place. In the rear I see where some support braces were removed to install the shackle flip. Looks like I'll stay SOA. Now on to get some stock front springs. Some times I think if I didn't have so much money tied up in this thing I would get rid of it. Carnuk, if I were closer I would take you up on your offer. However I am in Arkansas. The powers that be knew what they were doing when they invented the Just Empty Every Pocket - JEEP. On to the next phase I guess. Would you by new stock springs or try to fine some used stock front springs? The bottom pic is of the Jeep when I brought it home. I'll have to get a picture of how it sits now. I donthave one in my album. As always I appreciate the help. I need all I can get.

MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I would check some local junk yards for a grand wag. They have the softest riding springs. And they would be newer than springs from an older rig. So hopefully in better shape.

2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

Here is how it sits now. The 37" boggers were sold long ago and 35s were added in their place. You know I didnt realize just how cool I was. I get more looks and thumbs up when I drive my Jeep than I do my Tahoe. Must be the tinted windows on the Tahoe. People have a hard time seeing me. :shock: Yeah that's it. :roll:

MadMax78

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

Stuka wrote:I would check some local junk yards for a grand wag. They have the softest riding springs. And they way be newer than springs from an older rig. So hopefully in better shape.

I agree.
If that makes you too low up front then add a full length AAL (reasonably cheap) and see where that puts it.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Topic author
MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I appreciate the help. I am on the look out for pick and pull yards in central Arkansas now. Anyone have any suggestions for pick and pull yards around central Arkansas? I'm ready to get to work.
MadMax78

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Also keep an eye on the for sale sections on both boards. Someone is always parting one out, it might just happen to be close to you... ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

ttravis5446

Post by ttravis5446 »

I am in a similar situation. My Cherokee is SOA in the front on stock springs and stock springs in the back with crazy blocks, riding on 35's. My goal is going down to a 4" lift and 33's. I'm leaning towards just swapping front axles at this point. It looks like it would be a ton of work to grind off all of that welding.

This thing is scary as hell so it doesn't get driven on public streets.

JeepinPete

Post by JeepinPete »

Madmax, when you find the Waggy springs at the pick and pull, grab the front swaybar too. You will need it with the Waggy springs. Also find a S10 and grab the rear bump stops to use for the front bump stops on your Cherokee. They make a shockingly big difference.
Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ :D
Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

Jeffsj

Post by Jeffsj »

Wow! That is a scary looking setup Travis! It looks like someone didn't do their homework on a SOA conversion. First of all the axle obviously needs more work done to it, by the fact that I can see air between the furthest right (passenger) side u-bolt and the axle. It actually looks completely loose! A significant amount of grinding has to be done to the differential housing, in order to accept the u-bolts correctly. it also needs to be converted to crossover steering or full high steer to prevent the bump steer you probably have. The sway bar needs to be hooked up, so you don't roll over in corners and you're right, the lift blocks are something out of a horror film. A shackle flip is needed for this application. There is a lot of work and money involved in doing this conversion right. I know this because I'm in the middle of it right now and my wallet is getting lighter by the day.
Jeff

Beast : 1979 Cherokee Chief
Engine : 2003 GMC 5.3 liter Vortec
Trans. : 2002 4L60e / Transfer Case : 1989 NP241C with Slip-yoke eliminator
Lift : 4" / Tires : 33/12.50./15 BFG KM2's
Dakota Digital dashboard cluster

My 5.3 swap thread:
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=767
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrqX1ip2KkM
Tad's SOA/Shackle Flip installation: http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3347

Topic author
MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

:shock: . I wouldn't drive that on the road either!! That is a crazy setup. I'm surprised it hasn't spit the rear end out. I would definitely fix that first. I am going to stay SOA and use stock springs. I have to much tied up in the front end as it is. Now if I had a high pinion dana 44 it would be a different story.

Thanks for the info jeepinpete. I think there is about a foot of space between the bump stops and the axle now. Are the waggy springs that soft that ill need the sway bar as well?
MadMax78

JeepinPete

Post by JeepinPete »

Yes, they are that soft. I read on IFSJA that many ran without a swaybar on an SOA rig. I did too for a few thousand miles. It made for a white knuckle ride IMO. I added a rear bar first, which did little to improve things. Then I install a heavy front bar, and things got much better. Without the bar, you had to be real careful with steering inputs on the highway, otherwise it would start swaying side to side.

The bumpstops made a big difference in two fronts. First, ride quality improve. I cannot explain that one, but hitting a pothole or heave in the road under braking was sharp and jarring beforehand, while it was very much better controlled afterwards. Second, brake dive was greatly reduced. The S10 bumpstops are long, maybe 6" or so. They were a couple inches from the ubolt plates at rest. The springs I used were flat, so keep that in mind.
Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ :D
Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

Topic author
MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

How long will springs last new or used in a SOA situation? Ive heard the stories about them not lasting because they weren't made to be SOA. Would I be better off having springs made for a SOA situation? I only want to do this once. This will be a daily driver mild trail rig.
MadMax78

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

MadMax78 wrote:How long will springs last new or used in a SOA situation? Ive heard the stories about them not lasting because they weren't made to be SOA. Would I be better off having springs made for a SOA situation? I only want to do this once. This will be a daily driver mild trail rig.
30 year old springs won't last if you wheel the rig. For the street they will be fine.

As for springs meant for SOA, the only difference I have ever seen is that sometimes the leaf right under the main leaf is full length. But I have seen stock GM and Ford springs that are setup just like ours. So I personally don't buy into the "made for SOA" stuff.

The biggest killer of front springs in FSJ's is bending them because if the front mounted shackle. So if you hit an obstacle too hard you will bend the main leaf. This goes for SOA and SUA. More arched springs are more susceptible too this.
2017 JKU Rubicon