Need ideas for making a coolant cross over tube.

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Iceman0502

Need ideas for making a coolant cross over tube.

Post by Iceman0502 »

I'm in the process of doing a motor swap in my wagoneer and need to discuss lower cross over tube ideas. The radiator has the lower port on the drivers side however the motor has the inlet on the passenger side. It will need two bends installed on each side to go around a few obstacles.

I know it would be best to get a different radiator especially one for a chevy motor, but I plan on using the truck for daily driving and want to be able to fix it any where on the road. Also I personally do not own a welder for aluminum.

The amount of rubber hose should be keep to a minimum to so it is only required to change a small hose, rather than trying to find a 30" length of hose at a local store

Some options that were considered but there are concerns.

Copper - solder each connection and braze on some metal tabs to make mounts so it is secured.
pros - Easy to buy the pieces at the hardware store and I can use fittings to get the perfect angle that I need with minimum flow restrictions.
cons - Will the joints eventually crack from the vibration of the motor and the road?

Aluminum tube - Have my friend weld it and hopefully get some nice bends
pros - Nice to work with if you can do the work
Cons - doesnt aluminum and copper radiators react with one another. i would have to add a pice of zince to stop the reaction.

Aluminized Exhuast pipe - buy bends and weld together
pros - avaiable at parts store and I can weld it.
cons - its steel and would rust and potentially get holes inside it. how would I coat the inside?

Black iron pipe - used to gas pipe. Cut and weld 45 degree angles.
pros - can be welded with a mig. its thicker steel than exhuast pipe. Much longer before it rust or leaks
cons - its heavy. will the 45 degree welded angles restrict or slow down the flow of the coolant.

I would much prefer to use copper, but I am worried about the copper joints cracking during normal operating of the truck. The truck will be a daily driver, but will be driven very far from home and do not wish on doing side of the road or a parking lot repair.

Do you guys have any better ideas?

csuengr

Re: Need ideas for making a coolant cross over tube.

Post by csuengr »

When I did this for my CJ, I took my radiator to a shop and had them switch the ports. Cost me $75. A proper radiator is the best way. It is doubtful you will be able to use an off the shelf part without doing mods to it.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

I too had my stock 4 core changed to fit the Caddy. If you have them clean and check it at the same time, it will be fine for several years. Over time, you can get another to through on the shelf so when you start seeing signs, you can swap them out before a big trip. ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

I used aluminized exhaust pipe for mine. Bent it up at Midas and I was good to go! (5 years no leaks till I rolled the truck and punctured the rad with my motor)
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

pcoplin

Post by pcoplin »

Cost me $100 to have my radiator tested, cleaned, and outlets moved to the opposite side.
85 Grand Wagoneer 5.2/44RE/NP229
98 TJ 5.9/46RE/D300
97 F250 Powerstroke

FSJunkie

Post by FSJunkie »

Aluminum and copper within the cooling system together are usually fine if you use GO-5 coolant. Maybe even Dexcool.
1972 Wagoneer: 360 2V, THM-400, D20, D30 closed knuckle, D44 Trac-lok 3.31.
1965 Rambler Ambassador: 327 4V, BW M-10 auto, AMC 20 3.15.
1973 AMC Ambassador: 360 4V, TC-727.
1966 AMC Marlin 327 4V, T-10 4 speed, AMC 20 Powr-lok 3.54.