Trac Bar Delete

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
KC87Wagoneer

Trac Bar Delete

Post by KC87Wagoneer »

I have read about a few folks who have stated they deleted the front trac bar. Why would you do this? Mine is currently off and wondering why some removed it and did not put it back on. Did you instal something different? What are the benefits? What are the risks?

Thanks
KC
1987 Grand Wagoneer

Tad
Vendor

Re: Trac Bar Delete

Post by Tad »

That showed up in about '85 maybe '84.
Pretty redundant on a leaf spring rig, necessary for coil suspensions.
You can toss it and never notice the difference for the most part.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

I have one on the front of my leaf sprung CJ. No way in heck would I drive down the road without it. It greatly improves steering and handling plus eliminates bump steer. Ford used it on the front of leaf sprung Super Duties. Good enough reason for me.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

nc wagoneer

Post by nc wagoneer »

csuengr wrote:I have one on the front of my leaf sprung CJ. No way in heck would I drive down the road without it. It greatly improves steering and handling plus eliminates bump steer. Ford used it on the front of leaf sprung Super Duties. Good enough reason for me.
And without em its really fun, with death wobble kicking in and out anywhere from 35-70mph on a 8500lb truck! My dads 87 f350 has it missing and luckily its mainly a farm truck or it'd be alot worse.
77 J20 flatbed FOR SALE
"old blue" 79 waggy-sitting in Jake's full size jeep junkyard, traded for j20 parts
Also:
1986 Isuzu Trooper Factory Diesel/5 Speed
1999 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 (weekend toy)
1984 GMC Suburban K10 6.2 Diesel/700r4/np208
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
"Truth is FSJs are crack on wheels. One taste and you are addicted. Then you just want more. Anyone who does not see this is in denial"

muddy

Post by muddy »

In a nut shell, the track bar (A.K.A. panhard bar) is supposed to keep the axle centered, side to side, under the vehicle.
As mentioned earlier, this is a must with a link and coil type suspension (unless the links are triangulated of course).

Leaf spring suspensions were used for many, many years WITHOUT track bars, and actually do a pretty good job of locating the axle.
And in stock form, or even slightly lifted, they really aren't needed on FSJ's.

Here's the catch though, If your spring and/or shackle bushings are worn or you have really tall lift springs, this can allow the axle to shift side to side(especially when cornering) if you do not have a track bar.

But, on the flip side of that coin, if you want to off road, the track bar actually limits how much your front axle can flex. Because the track bar attaches to the frame on one side, and the axle on the other; as the suspension compresses and extends, the track bar pushes and pulls the axle from side to side, which creates binding in the springs.

I've had several (lifted) leaf spring vehicles without front track bars, and they all drove and handled just fine. However, given that the springs and bushings on my wagoneer are stock, and worn out, I will be leaving the track bar until I go through the suspension and replace all the worn parts.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

After I put 4" lift on, I left them off unless I was making a drive towing a load. Towing was the only place I could tell any difference.

What you do with a Super Duty doesn't apply here. ;)
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

I was using Super Duties as an example. S-10 and S-15's with the ZR2 package came with trac bars on the rear. I would love to put one on the rear of my Cherokee, along with a sway bar. I have checked with my CJ, and articulation isn't much different with or without it.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

The track bars on a FSJ do affect articulation and have much better travel without them. S10, CJ and Super Duty do not make much example because they are not FSJ is what I am saying.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

panhard bars with leaf springs are for handling with soft spring bushings. Earlier rigs had solid bushings on the leaf eyes to control sway, but lazy people didn't grease them which caused excessive sway as they wore. Modern vehicles travel faster than older ones so tighter suspension is needed to handle the faster corners. Kids nowadays would freak if they tried to corner in a vehicle with body sway. Us old guys are used to it and know how to use it to our advantage.
it's an FSJ, not a drift car!
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
KC87Wagoneer

Post by KC87Wagoneer »

So I have replaced my track bar bushings. I drove it around for about a week without the trac bar. No death wobble, just a lot of sway. Rides much better with it on. Hoping the new bushings and bolts hold in place to stop the knock I was having.

On the axle side there is a small bracket between the trac bar and the bracket on the axle. This was not held in place with anything other than the bolt that ran through the bushing. There were two small wholes in it but nothing holding it to the larger bracket. Didn't look like a weld failed. Any direction on the correct mounting method of this smaller inner bracket?

Cliff
1987 Grand Wagoneer

FSJunkie

Post by FSJunkie »

Wagoneers got track bars because the soccer moms driving them in the 80's complained about their handling without them.

Before 1974, Wagoneers not only didn't have track bars, they didn't have sway bars, either! The springs were stiffer.

I daily drive one of these suspensions and love it. It rides smoother than the later models and soaks up rough roads like no other. It does tend to wander in crosswinds, quick maneuvers result in lots of wallowing, and freeway clovers are my arch-enemy. She just doesn't like to be thrown around. :P The spring and shackle bushings are 41 years old and I'm sure that allows things to shift around worse than they used to.

Pretty typical handling for he day. Handles differently, but about as good as my parent's Rambler Wagon and my aunt's Marlin. Those things understeer like heck. At least when you point a Wagoneer in the direction wou want it to go, it'll go there, just with a lot of body sway.
1972 Wagoneer: 360 2V, THM-400, D20, D30 closed knuckle, D44 Trac-lok 3.31.
1965 Rambler Ambassador: 327 4V, BW M-10 auto, AMC 20 3.15.
1973 AMC Ambassador: 360 4V, TC-727.
1966 AMC Marlin 327 4V, T-10 4 speed, AMC 20 Powr-lok 3.54.