fender exit exhaust

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Green&Loud

fender exit exhaust

Post by Green&Loud »

Ive seen a lot of trucks with the exhaust exiting through a hole in the fender. I really like the way its tucked up out of the way and I was wondering if anyone had ever done this on j truck? What do you think, to much hassle?

This picture is just a random one I pulled from the web as an example. We're looking at the exhaust remember.... not the fact that this truck gets stuck on speed bumps :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'76 j10- currently in project mode
"Hey y'all, watch this!" means get out the camera
FSJ related donations now being accepted

surfwagoneer

Re: fender exit exhaust

Post by surfwagoneer »

I've seen a picture of a GW on here that I believe had duals exiting the side. Didn't look to bad. I don't think it would be worth the hassle
89 GW- Rebuilt 360 w RV camshaft, 4 inch Rustys spring lift, 1" body lift, dana 44HD front, 14 bolt rear 3.73's.
78 Cherokee Chief- work in progress

will e

Post by will e »

After the SOA/SF I had an exhaust put on as well. They ran it over the rear spring and pretty close to the back fender. It's suprisingly well protected

Here you can see how it doesn't get smacked even at angle.

I think it's jerry who rigged his to run out the rear custom bumper he has. That seems to work really well too.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

A side exit <cough> typically puts a lot of fumes <choke> up into the passenger cabin. A Jeep with a rear exit exhaust will be a lot more pleasant to drive, if not as cool looking.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

will e wrote:After the SOA/SF I had an exhaust put on as well. They ran it over the rear spring and pretty close to the back fender. It's suprisingly well protected

Wow Mike, that looks like a completely different truck than what you brought over last week ;-)
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.

wewillsurvive

fender exit exhaust

Post by wewillsurvive »

I agree it looks good, however that guy doesn't have to worry about flex if offroading and if you're speaking of the fender and not the quarter panel it would be ridiculously loud, unless of course you have a turbo

1972 Dodge Demon with a 451" stroker Big Block
1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer AMC 360" AKA Golddigger- SOLD
2003 Dodge Crewcab 2500 Cummins longbed 4x4
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee V-6 full time 4x4

Alternators, winches, 4x4, guns all have the same issue if you don't have any knowledge of them usually bad things will happen. Serehill

ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

My exhaust when I finally get to it will be through the lower fender near the stock location, both sides. I like the look but also like it up out of the way. Rear exit is probably ok for the J trucks, but I like to cruise with the rear window down and that doesn't get it with rear exit exhaust.

will e

Post by will e »

TUDrewser wrote:
will e wrote:After the SOA/SF I had an exhaust put on as well. They ran it over the rear spring and pretty close to the back fender. It's suprisingly well protected

Wow Mike, that looks like a completely different truck than what you brought over last week ;-)
You saw it shiney... You probably thought it was a 'pretty mall cruizer'. ;)
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

will e wrote:
You saw it shiney... You probably thought it was a 'pretty mall cruizer'. ;)
I'm pretty sure you washed it just to come see me ;-)
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.

Topic author
Green&Loud

Post by Green&Loud »

Is side exit really that bad on fumes? I cant decide if I want it just in front, or just behind the rear tire. I'm leaning torwards in front

Oh, forgot to mention this is a 76 j10 with 7ft bed I'm talking about

will e

Post by will e »

If you are goinv to wheel it I would suggest behind the wheel

Topic author
Green&Loud

Post by Green&Loud »

Ok. I was thinking that a few feet forward wouldn't matter during normal driving, which seems to be correct. But I can see where it would be nice to have it as far from the cab as possible during wheeling

Jeffsj

Post by Jeffsj »

definitely go behind the wheel. When I first got my Cherokee, it came out in front of the wheel and like others are saying, fumes, for some reason, find their way in when you have the windows down. Mine even came in on the highway, depending on wind direction. The constant sound got to be a nuisance too. Just wanted to throw that out there.
Jeff

Beast : 1979 Cherokee Chief
Engine : 2003 GMC 5.3 liter Vortec
Trans. : 2002 4L60e / Transfer Case : 1989 NP241C with Slip-yoke eliminator
Lift : 4" / Tires : 33/12.50./15 BFG KM2's
Dakota Digital dashboard cluster

My 5.3 swap thread:
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=767
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrqX1ip2KkM
Tad's SOA/Shackle Flip installation: http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3347

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

I have 40" glass packs. Not too bad at hyway speeds, plus the stereo drowns it out. I run all summer with the windows down and the rear slider open and do not get fumes in the cab. ;)

Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Here is where I had brought the exhaust out the rear bumper and did not like it it was putting exhaust in the back.
And the other two pictures is where I cut the lower part of the body panel and ran it between the fram and the
body.