In Bed Toolbox

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
FirefighterIV

In Bed Toolbox

Post by FirefighterIV »

Hello All,
ive got another issue. ive been looking for a Crossover in bed toolbox for my 85 J20 with little luck :banghead: . from what ive measured, the toyota tundra toolboxes will sit in the bed, but the bed rail peices will Hang over the side...WAAAYYY over the side...wider than my tires will stick out. i keep looking at Midsize truck toolboxes because they seem like the crossover width is about right but most of them are infant baby tiny on the inside...and i like storage. With a Fullsize Stihl Chainsaw and a toolbag in the box it would be about stuffed. when i purchased the truck i had high hopes of stuffing my superduty toolbox in the bed, but its about an inch and a half too wide...and if i cut it would have the same problem as the tundra box...not to mention it would be an absolute pain to piece back together, and welding aluminum is above my pay grade. So my question is what toolboxes have you all used with success? with all the fsj trucks on here im sure someone has conquered this issue. really i just want the biggest toolbox i can fit, depth wise, width wise, and length wise. any help from my fellow fsj-ers? :fsj:
Keep Calm & Chive on!

85 J10-20...the moneypit

"true happiness is a belt fed weapon... and an ammo factory"

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: In Bed Toolbox

Post by Stuka »

Closest bed is a dodge dakota as I recall. So I would look for tool boxes intended for them. I know a guy her ein town with a J20 with a tool box on his. Do not remember what it is from, but it fits pretty well.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

blue beast j10

Post by blue beast j10 »

I also have been looking for a tool box for 79' j10 with no luck thinking about just getting ahold of local welder and having one made, I personally want a drop in that bolts to the floor and is level with the rails and can leave enough room for fuel tank in front of it so I can remove stock tank and gain more capacity and balance the load. I am thinking this way I can put a cap on if I want at a later date.
1-79' j10 360/th400/QT 31/10.50/15
if you didn't bleed you weren't working on a FSJ

Topic author
FirefighterIV

Post by FirefighterIV »

I appreciate it Stuka. ill have to try to find somthing sized for that truck n see. Blue Beast i thought about doing the same thing. i spoke to a welder down the street. he said he could make me a custom one, but it was gonna cost like $600 :shock: so im trying to find an alternate. if you want an in bed check Tractor Supply, they had an in bed that would have fit perfectly ( if i measured it right) into my J, and i believe it was made to piggy back a tank... you might want to check it out, i dont know if it would work or not, but could save you some $ if it does.
Keep Calm & Chive on!

85 J10-20...the moneypit

"true happiness is a belt fed weapon... and an ammo factory"

blue beast j10

Post by blue beast j10 »

thanks for the info will have to check that out.
1-79' j10 360/th400/QT 31/10.50/15
if you didn't bleed you weren't working on a FSJ

pcoplin

Post by pcoplin »

Might check out the full size box from Home Depot/Lowe's that they rebrand. It was a little short on the rails on my F250...
85 Grand Wagoneer 5.2/44RE/NP229
98 TJ 5.9/46RE/D300
97 F250 Powerstroke