Wendy, the "looks better in pictures" 90 GW

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
TUDrewser

Re: Wendy, the "looks better in pictures" 90 GW

Post by TUDrewser »

So, new A/C low pressure hose, new compressor, held pressure and then held vacuum all night. Ran vacuum for several hours today to get moisture out and headed over to a FSJ veteran's house who also happens to be an AC guy and had R12 to fill her up.

Got a good fill, but was only getting to about 60 degrees so went to put a little more in. Before actually doing it the temp started climbing rapidly. At 74 degrees, disaster:

The high pressure hose (the one that was still original) blew out and dumped all the refrigerant and oil. I missed the picture that was a cloud of R12 smoke and vapor. Good thing the EPA is shut down.

Good news is the engine looks like it was just Armor-Alled.

So now to replace the high pressure hose and try again. Feels weird to be trying so hard to get the AC working when it is so nice outside, but now it's a matter of principle.
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

The fun continues. Started taking the high pressure hose off and this happened:

It was already bent when I got to it, but it's like the threads just dissolved. I sprayed WD40 in it before loosening, and it unthreaded pretty normally. There are also no shavings anywhere...they are just gone.

So, now I need a new condenser too. Jerry is going to see what he has, but maybe I should just get a new one since everything else is now new. It's almost getting comical.

wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

Pssst I posted in the modified section a post about the beginnings of my CS144 install
1972 Dodge Demon with a 451" stroker Big Block
1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer AMC 360" AKA Golddigger- SOLD
2003 Dodge Crewcab 2500 Cummins longbed 4x4
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee V-6 full time 4x4

Alternators, winches, 4x4, guns all have the same issue if you don't have any knowledge of them usually bad things will happen. Serehill

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Got the new (to me) antenna on and the wire threaded through. Then played with fuses and jiggling wires until I got 12v to the radio wire harness. Installed radio to learn speakers were shot...little bit of static and tinny music. Replaced the rears with some old ones I had from my neighbor and finally have music. Need to order some inexpensive front ones now. Also replaced the steering wheel leather with the wheelskin kit I ordered. Color is slightly off, but feels SO much better.

Jerry is bringing an A/C condenser by on Thursday. The guy has everything. Now debating if I should go ahead and replace the expansion valve too and just have a completely redone system. Figure may as well at this point for $20.

Then I can start saving for upgrades! Bought a used Edelbrock Performer intake and it's being shipped. Can't really use it yet, but starting to collect parts and it was a good price.

Things I still want to do (not in order of priority yet)
-CB Radio
-Power steering pump still leaking
-Clean all the carpet
-Redo rear side panels with new non-warped backer
-Take apart each door, check wires, grease moving parts, clean door panels
-Start piecing together a TBI setup (this is probably months down the road)
-Rear 3-point seatbelts
-Redo seat upholstery
-Paint it

All stuff that can wait for the most part...I'm nearing the end of phase 1, which was get it drive-able.

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Here's some pictures:

Before:

After:

Don't really have before pictures for radio and antenna, but picture a hole in the dash and a hole in the body where neither existed. The dash was already cut anyway, so the lobsided-ness was already there:

And I'm fully aware that these pictures do not make a very interesting build thread, but I don't have any of the big stuff that the other threads do. And I figure it's still better than no pictures :)

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Gotta start somewhere, its coming together for you and thats all that counts. ;)

The first pic, you can see the wires hanging out of the hole in the dash behind the steering wheel.

I have half dozen CBs laying around here, when you finally come up to my neck of the woods, I'll give you one.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

will e

Post by will e »

Your truck was not what you expected. Not much you can do about that, it is what it is.

Here is the silver lining:

So you have been spending some time on it, learning what is what, how it works, etc. This will be invaluable when you take the family on a road trip. A minor mishap will be nothing more than a quick fix nuisance while the family stretches their legs, plays a little bit, maybe eats lunch while you fix the problem.

You have years of fun to look forward to. The boys will look back on these days and talk about how dad used to take them on road trips (and hopefully wheel'n trips) in 'Wendy'.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Look real good. See you tomorrow.

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Thanks guys! This is kind of going to end up being the truck that friends built, based on all the donated parts, time, knowledge and experience!

will e

Post by will e »

TUDrewser wrote:Thanks guys! This is kind of going to end up being the truck that friends built, based on all the donated parts, time, knowledge and experience!
That's how mine was put together. Jerry did the welding for the SOA, Derek did the plasma cutting, RStep did the bumpers and bar (with some help from his girls and TAD).
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

Wish the FSJ community was as solid as the group of guys you have working on yours, I have only heard of two from near me, Slow hand and one other both are here.

Alternators, winches, 4x4, guns all have the same issue if you don't have any knowledge of them usually bad things will happen. Serehill

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

wewillsurvive wrote:Wish the FSJ community was as solid as the group of guys you have working on yours, I have only heard of two from near me, Slow hand and one other both are here.
And one of my guys even drove all the way to Indiana to help you ;)

wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

Yeah he was headed here for other reasons but he did help me while he was here

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Yeah, but sounds better to say he was going just to deliver parts to you. Surprised he didn't have Dolly ;)

wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

:p

Yeah I'm sure it does.

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

That enough you guys. You will make his head so big that no one will talk to him :D

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Just a quick update. Drove Wendy across town in rush hour traffic last Friday. 2 hours of driving, about 30 minutes sitting still due to 2 accidents, never got above 190 degrees and drove great.

Steering is still pretty wonky...going to tighten down the springs on the lift and see if that helps. If you jerk the wheel and aren't careful, it will start swinging back and forth. My wife drove it for about 30 minutes on the way home and got downright scared a few times. Something's still not quite right, but it's driveable.

Been doing little things too like cleaning up the door panels, greasing window tracks and locks, etc. Thought I had the locks all lubed and working better but then they started sticking again the next day after everything was back together. Oh well.

Also had to change gears and do a little work on my wife's car...headlights were getting downright bad. Before and after:
HL before.jpg
HL after.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

will e

Post by will e »

Describe the steering issue a little more.

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Steering issue: there seems to be a lot of side to side movement. For example, speed bumps where there is a split, I can line up one side with the split so only one side goes over the hump. It's as if the body shifts side to side. Then driving, small movements can cause big sway, and if not careful, or if you over correct, it will almost bounce or oscillate side to side. Reminds me of driving a loaded box truck when if get going to fast...would have to coast to a lower speed to recover. Doesn't take much turn at speed to cause the jeep to veer...I basically have to always have two hands on the wheel. One handed driving makes it really bad.

Both track bars are in place. I had tightened the steering box too tight and that made it downright dangerous to drive, so let it back out...guess that wasn't the problem.

Mike, you are welcome to take it for a drive next time you stop by to see what I mean. I would love to have someone drive it who is familiar with FSJs, both driving and the sounds ;). Plus, I have that sway bar for you anyway.

Jerry, you can too :)

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Didn't you put a 4" lift on?, and you were able to put the track bars back on also. Did you
put a drop pitman arm on[4"] or stay stock.