Cherk 68

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Tad
Vendor

Cherk 68

Post by Tad »

Most that know me also know that I am surely no Jeep purist by any stretch of the imagination and in reality as of about Ouray 2012 I was pretty much at the point of simply finishing the Caddy swap and just spending the rest of my time fabricating parts and beating the chop-top until it died. I've been driving and wrenching on Jeep and Willys rigs since 1978 and was finally getting bored with it.

Despite that and for quite some time there have only been two FSJ's I have been remotely interested in doing another project with. A 1991 Final Edition or a first year 1974 NT Cherokee.

Enough about me: Meet Cherk #68

This rig is not for or about me, it's for Em as I am partially responsible for talking her into getting rid of her '76 Scout and it's about saving a piece of history at the same time.

The discussion began with the seller on August 28, 2013 who is working in NorCal with the Jeep being about 25 miles north of Silver City, NM near a small town called Cliff, NM.
This was one of the original CL pictures.

Yes, that's a gold pan bolted to the hood.
At this point I began discussing the ad with Flint and received a few more pic's from the seller.
Those are all located here: http://s149.photobucket.com/user/tadsal ... sellerpics
Most are from a cell camera and some are from the original CL ad.

After getting the pic's in the above album sorted and sharing a few select ones, Em and I decided to road trip it over and take a look, we were due for a road trip anyway, how could it hurt to just go look.
It's now September 6th, we head over after work, get a good nights sleep and head out on the morning of the 7th to meet Cherk.

The ranch is hard to find and we get talked in by the seller's mom via cell but loose signal about 1/2 mile out, it takes about 30 minutes to figure it out and meet the parents, a very nice couple in their 80's who run several working ranches between Animas and Gila, NM

Carol and Weldon welcome us not only onto their ranch but into their home and eventually into our hearts, more on that later.

I take a lot of pics, those are here: http://s149.photobucket.com/user/tadsal ... iginalpics

I'm actually not very impressed and spend a good deal of time talking with Weldon while Em plays with the dogs, looks at the animals and chats with Carol. Weldon explains to us that the scrappers are coming for his broken K20 and I explain why the NP203 he acquired did not work in place of his broken (cracked in half) NP208.
The talk about the scrappers coming did not register in my brain...yet.

We leave pretty much resigned to the fact that it was good to be out on the road and that we hope to live as old and be as happy as Carol and Weldon are. Em drives while I go through the pic's thinking things like "the rust is not that bad" and "it's kind of a long ways to flat tow" and then I get to the VIN pic.

Having never really cared about VIN numbers I check with the VIN decoder, I double check.
Now I have something to work with, the 68th Cherk to come off the assembly line in June of 1973.

Enter Plasticboob AKA Rob from both here and IFSJA.
I remembered his thread about 1st year Cherokee's from a few years back, read it, read it twice, read it three times. Lowest number recorded in that thread is #2773.
Now I am interested, #68 and a Z code.
I PM Rob and text him a few pic's, he's also impressed.

Em and I decide to buy it, but time is marching forward everyday now.
Enter jsinajeep AKA Jerry.
Jerry has recently brought back a rusty '74 NT 2 door with a pretty good interior, I agree to buy the interior panels and at almost the same time Jerry emails me.
Cherk 68 is on Phoenix CL, WTF?

Contact with seller is poor now and I contact Carol and Weldon.
NorCal job is not as it seems, broke, in a motel, new job is a few days out and...
...the scrappers are coming Friday September 13th, no big deal to add another rig to the haul and get the seller some $$.

Em and I scramble and plan, reestablish contact, we are ready to rock Friday morning, going to have to be a grab and go.

We are rollin' like fish on ice.
Engine hoist, floor jack, roller tires, hand winch, strap, about 150lbs of tools, cash, tow bar and the Mighty Q.
We hit the ranch at 4:10pm, cash is exchanged and Carol is off to Silver to deposit the $$ in sellers account as soon as we have the title in hand.
I hit the cab with the steering wheel puller and lock plate compressor.
Em hits all the lug nuts and bumper bolts with PB.
Once we get neutral tires get swapped.
401 and NP203 get loaded into trailer.
We pick a spot on the hill facing the gate.
Em straps Cherk 68 out with the Q in 4Lo.

Tow bar goes on and now it's 7pm and dark.
We are poised for early morning transfer to another location.

We say goodbye to Carol and Weldon and are given farm fresh eggs and and tomatoes.
We tear up a little, they are not strangers anymore.
We hit the Silver house at 9pm, tired and dirty.
Blakes Lot-O-Burger, a shower and a cold beer finish the day.

Saturday the 14th we are back at the ranch at 8am, well fed and slightly rested.
We hookup, do the pleasantries with Carol and Weldon and Carol gives us copy of her book.

The Mighty Q makes it happen.

Cherk 68 is now secured at my house in Silver City.

Em reads Carol's entire book on the way back, telling me parts of the story, crying a little at some parts.
I cried a little as I wrote this, we have new friends we intend to visit whenever we go to Silver.
Life is good.

Meet Cherk 68.

Please feel free to browse the albums: http://s149.photobucket.com/user/tadsal ... ow/74Cherk
I would really appreciate it if you would not share them on any social media sites or anyplace else.
Actually, if you do I will be pissed.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Cherk 68

Post by Stuka »

Wow, quite the story! Always good to meet good people. As I swear they are getting harder and harder to find.

Looks to have a pretty straight body over all. Minimal rust (to be expected for a SW rig), and the chrome actually looks great!

Certainly a good start for a project. Are you planning a full restoration eventually?

Still can't stand the word 'Cherk' :P
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

ghinmi

Post by ghinmi »

Wow, cool story (and truck)! I'm excited to see the build, what are your plans for it?

ghinmi

Post by ghinmi »

Very interesting color code in the one picture, I'm not seeing it on my '74 color chart. I was thinking it was going to be 515 (Trans-Am Red) but it appears to be 522. Maybe something special since it was probably a pilot truck?

Edit: Looks like 522 is the 1973 code for Trans-Am Red. Very cool to have such an early production model.

Topic author
Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

Thanks,
There are many options and variables to explore and decide.
One goal is to keep it as stock looking as possible since it is pretty straight and the rust we have discovered is easily dealt with.

Body & Trim:
As stock as possible.

Interior:
Some stock as far as panels go, I find FSJ seats very uncomfortable so that will be an upgrade item.
Dash has been cut for a DIN unit so we will stick with that.
I have about $400 in gauges that never got used, they can go here.

Suspension:
Body will move to my '82 Chero frame simply to get rid of the post mount setup.
I would prefer no lift but if it does get a lift it will go SOA simply for ride quality.

Drivetrain:
This is a can of worms.
The QT unit probably is marginal, I won't mess with it unless it tests good later.
If the 401 is salvageable I would like to use it.
I could put it front of another TH400 I have with a D20 or...
The NP203 is one of the last pieces I need for the chop top 203/205 doubler...
So I could stick my D208 behind it.

Many thoughts to deal with.
This will be a long build but I would like to see it in Ouray for 2015.

My Stuff:
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Tad wrote:Thanks,

Suspension:
Body will move to my '82 Chero frame simply to get rid of the post mount setup.
I would prefer no lift but if it does get a lift it will go SOA simply for ride quality.
I am sure you are aware of this, but the body mounts changed in '76. So you will have to do some fab work to get it moved over.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

Stuka wrote: I am sure you are aware of this, but the body mounts changed in '76. So you will have to do some fab work to get it moved over.
Fully aware but it's just something else to fab a solution for, those things usually wind up generating me some parts $$ down the road.
I will use the Cherk frame to develop the 74/75 shackle flip kits and reintroduce the old style steering braces (someone stole my gig two years ago).

My Stuff:
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

will e

Post by will e »

Looks like a fun project! And a great story.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Tonka J200

Post by Tonka J200 »

SaaWeet!
That is an awesome story.
I look forward to seeing it in Ouray in 2015 too!

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Well the only that I see different between your new cherk and the cherk that I brought back from Colorado to part,
is mine has a vin # of Z93212 Sept 1974 and it blue :D I still think you got a good deal.

Strode182

Post by Strode182 »

Cool story. I don't understand the pulling of the steering wheel part?

ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

VERY NICE!

Tad,
I too have a '74 NT Chero of the same color behind the shop! It was tagged in the front end, I purchased it sans front clip, but there are many useful parts left on it so if you run across anything you need let me know, I might have it. Price will be right, I've already got my money out of the rig and I am slowly decomissioning her...

ghinmi

Post by ghinmi »

Strode182 wrote:Cool story. I don't understand the pulling of the steering wheel part?
My guess is no key for the ignition and they had to disable the steering lock to flat tow it.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Great Cherokee Tad! I love NTs. Did someone replace those springs sort of recently? The U-bolts aren't rusty...I'm just not accustomed to seeing so little rust underneath. Are you going to start assessing the 401 by seeing if you can free it up or is there more to check even before you do that?
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Sweet find Tad, congrats Em... :-bd

Will be fun to watch this one go together. Your builds are always so awesome... :shock:
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Congrats Tad & Em! Great story and save! :-bd
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

pyro

Post by pyro »

Awesome story and even cooler rig. This should be an interesting one to follow.
'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
'82 Cherokee 258/TF904
'84 CJ-8 258/T176

Florida FSJ's Click Here!!!

Locked and Loaded

Post by Locked and Loaded »

Nice rescue.
Last edited by Locked and Loaded on Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drink more Water

Topic author
Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

ghinmi wrote:
Strode182 wrote:Cool story. I don't understand the pulling of the steering wheel part?
My guess is no key for the ignition and they had to disable the steering lock to flat tow it.
Correct.
We knew in advance so we had the correct tools.
twisted frame wrote:... Did someone replace those springs sort of recently? The U-bolts aren't rusty...I'm just not accustomed to seeing so little rust underneath. Are you going to start assessing the 401 by seeing if you can free it up or is there more to check even before you do that?
It looks to be the Rough Country 3" kit, springs front, block in rear. It's plenty dirty but I have no idea how long it's been on there.

The 401 is soaking for a week, I'll see if anything will budge on it next weekend. If you find the pic that shows the pistions you will see one is not at the correct orientation, probably a con rod broke, the piston next to it has a chip out of the top.
If it comes apart and looks good I will send the block and crank across town to one of our school shops that can magnaflux it. If it comes apart and looks bad it's yard art.
ScottsMojo wrote:VERY NICE!

Tad,
I too have a '74 NT Chero of the same color behind the shop! It was tagged in the front end, I purchased it sans front clip, but there are many useful parts left on it so if you run across anything you need let me know, I might have it. Price will be right, I've already got my money out of the rig and I am slowly decomissioning her...
Thanks for the offer and I will definitly keep that in mind.
Cherk will be moved to Tucson between Oct 5-12 when I have vacation, That gives me 3 weeks to make room for it.

My Stuff:
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

The 401 from my "Z" code J-10 threw a rod cap. Mine will need the crank rebuilt, at $300... :banghead: :banghead:
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/