replacement floors

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Green&Loud

replacement floors

Post by Green&Loud »

So I know theres a handful of places that make floor panels for the j trucks, but how big are they? Ive got quite a bit of rust in my floors and I dont want to waste my money on a panel and find that it only fixes half of what I expected it to. Thanks!
'76 j10- currently in project mode
"Hey y'all, watch this!" means get out the camera
FSJ related donations now being accepted

whsii

Re: replacement floors

Post by whsii »

I bought four floor panels to replace the floor in my J10.

Front left and right, and rear left and right.

I think that the Wagoneers and Cherokees have a different rear panel.

I had an extra cab with some good floor parts in it, I cut out about six sections from the parts cab and added it to the mix.

You can go to the first link in my signature and scroll down through the pictures to find the floor board replacement. It might help you see what is involved.

Topic author
Green&Loud

Post by Green&Loud »

I had trouble viewing the pictures in the link so im still a little confused. Thanks for the input though. If im understanding correctly, you cut the floor panels from a donor vehicle and put them in yours?

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Green&Loud wrote:I had trouble viewing the pictures in the link so im still a little confused. Thanks for the input though. If im understanding correctly, you cut the floor panels from a donor vehicle and put them in yours?
No, he had 4 patch panels AND a donor floor to make one good floor. The floor panels on the market will not cover all your rust damage. Get ready to get creative, I did... but it was fun!
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
Green&Loud

Post by Green&Loud »

Haha, I had considered just plain sheet metal with bed liner on it, but id like to maintain the grooves of the factory flooring if possible. I dont have nearly the budget to buy a donor rig though :oops:

CherokeeCraig

Post by CherokeeCraig »

After spending way to much money for what you get from BJ's for replacement front floor panels for my Cherokee that were not big enough to cover the area I needed covered I wish I had just pulled everything out of my donor Wagoneer and cut the floor out of it. I just thought the replacement would be quicker and easier and it would have been had they been bigger. I was very disappointed. My total with shipping was right at 170.00. I can not recommend these to anyone, maybe at half that much.
Last edited by CherokeeCraig on Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
79 Cherokee
81 CJ-7
82 CJ-8 Scrambler

wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

ZM's floorpan aren't big enough either??? They look to be from firewall to rear seat deck and hump to door
1972 Dodge Demon with a 451" stroker Big Block
1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer AMC 360" AKA Golddigger- SOLD
2003 Dodge Crewcab 2500 Cummins longbed 4x4
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee V-6 full time 4x4

Alternators, winches, 4x4, guns all have the same issue if you don't have any knowledge of them usually bad things will happen. Serehill

CherokeeCraig

Post by CherokeeCraig »

The real problem is that the problem is much bigger then the manufactures are addressing and we as unsuspecting patrons are getting minimal replacement parts for maximum price. I'm still pissed.
79 Cherokee
81 CJ-7
82 CJ-8 Scrambler

wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

My biggest problem seems to be the wheel wells separating from the cargo area floor anyone seen a patch panel for the wheeltubs?

Alternators, winches, 4x4, guns all have the same issue if you don't have any knowledge of them usually bad things will happen. Serehill

Mr. Goatman

Post by Mr. Goatman »

A 4x8 sheet of 14ga was 70.00 at the local metal supply. After looking at the available replacement pans I don't think it is much more work.
87 GW SOA/SF on 33"
87 Diesel Goat- Project Isuzu 4BD1T, 47RH, NP205 Front and Rear D60 5" Lift and 285-75x16 St Maxx
88 GW "Blue"- Next project! 6.2 GM/ 700R4, NP 203, Banks kit

Topic author
Green&Loud

Post by Green&Loud »

so whats the cheapest and most effective way to replace the floorboards? I don't come across many fsjs around here so id hate to cut up a good one. ill do what I have to do to get floors though if anybody knows of a good source in north georgia

CherokeeCraig

Post by CherokeeCraig »

Like Goatman said, buy you a sheet of 14 ga, get a rubber mallet and a block of wood, measure the piece you need to replace and cut a piece a couple inches longer on the side your going to need to form (tranny hump) and pound it out till it fits. Trust me it's really not that hard to do and at half the money you can afford to make a couple mistakes. And just the whole, " I built them myself" is worth a lot in terms of satisfaction of doing a job with your own hands and knowledge.
79 Cherokee
81 CJ-7
82 CJ-8 Scrambler

wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

I ordered the front and full rear pans for both sides today. I'll get measurements and such if you haven't fixed your floors yet and are interested in these

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

I did the first install and write up of the GEMBOX (that's a test to see who has been around the trail for a bit) passenger side front floor pan.
He (at least for a few years) made them for both BJ's and a ZM, not sure who does or sells what now.
Those were a very good fit, they were designed to be shipped reasonably so they did not cover much ov the curve up the firewall.

I was very happy, still am.
What I encountered with mine was once I cut out the passenger side damage was that it was worse than what I calculated.
So...drivers side got the side of my old washing machine front panel.
Nothing is perfect on these 30+ year old rigs, is a labor of compromise for the most part .
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

blue beast j10

Post by blue beast j10 »

when I did mine in my old 75' Cherokee chief s I went to a HVAC shop that had a bunch of 4x4's in the parking lot showed them what I had the guys told me to come back at 5:00 when they were off work, I got there about 5 min early first guy back came out and took measurement as the rest showed up they went after it like free booze and in about 45 min I had new floors payed $45 for the materials and a 12pak and away I went they cut and bent everything and set them in all I had to do was attach them when I got home. just an idea to ponder LOOK for 4x4's it did help.
1-79' j10 360/th400/QT 31/10.50/15
if you didn't bleed you weren't working on a FSJ

Topic author
Green&Loud

Post by Green&Loud »

I would be interested in the measurements on those panels. Mine isnt too bad on the slanted part up the firewall, its just a wide section. All the way from the door seal to the transmission hump

blue beast j10

Post by blue beast j10 »

sorry I don't have those measurements the guys at the hvac shop did all the work.
1-79' j10 360/th400/QT 31/10.50/15
if you didn't bleed you weren't working on a FSJ

Topic author
Green&Loud

Post by Green&Loud »

Sorry, I was talking about the measurements on the panels that wewillsurvive ordered. I should have specified

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Tad wrote:I did the first install and write up of the GEMBOX (that's a test to see who has been around the trail for a bit) .
I never figured out how you were supposed to pronounce GEMOBX or whatever his member name was. It kept me up at night. :P
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

REDONE wrote:
Tad wrote:I did the first install and write up of the GEMBOX (that's a test to see who has been around the trail for a bit) .
I never figured out how you were supposed to pronounce GEMOBX or whatever his member name was. It kept me up at night. :P
First three letters are initials, last three are location.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project