79 cherokee

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
w1nk

79 cherokee

Post by w1nk »

hey guys, I'm new to jeeps and the fsjnetwork. my buddy sold me this 79 cherokee that's been sitting for about 5 years. the rear is in rough shape and the floor panels have been patched but the rest of the body doesnt look too bad to me. It has a 360/TH400/QT. the transmission and QT were removed about 4 years ago because of a "noise" he was trying to fix. after he pulled the transmission, some other stuff took priority and it was never fixed. so now here we are today. I've got a lot to learn.

sounds like the noise could have been loose bolts on the flex plate, loose bolts on the TC, a combination of both, and possibly bad starter and cracked flexplate? havent inspected all that closely yet but from what I've read on this forum that seems like a pretty common issue for these fsj's.

I should have power washed it before I took the pictures so please forgive me for that. I'll post some more pics later this week once I get it all cleaned up. my plans are to just make a wicked trail machine. I want it to be street legal but I dont want it as my DD. just something to play around with on the weekends.

Last edited by w1nk on Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
1979 Cherokee
360/TH400/QT

wvrefugee

Re: 79 cherokee

Post by wvrefugee »

Great looking old rig! Good luck!
...so the Maples formed a union and demanded equal rights - the Oaks are just to greedy, they grab up all our light. Now there's no more Oak oppression, for they passed a noble law, and the trees are all kept equal -- by hatchet, ax, and saw..." Neal Peart, Rush "The Trees"

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Welcome to the Network... Image

Actually, the sound he was chasing might have been the chain in the t-case. When they get used hard, they stretch and will jump teeth, making a poping sound on take off. Theres a sight you can check out with all the info you need...

http://www.jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Welcome & good luck.

We like to see them coming out of the woodwork Don't worry about that it makes to changes more dramatic.
Good luck on the repairs. The chain is a good place to look but while it apart remove all possibilities.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

Diamond-tuck upholstery, what a blast from the past, I LOVE IT!
Let us not forget what our fathers taught us.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4