76' J10 4.2 258 Build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Green&Loud

Re: 76' J10 4.2 258 Build

Post by Green&Loud »

Wow, thanks for all the input! I plan on HEI eventually, but at this point I know I have spark, and when I dont I just have to wiggle the plug wires. So that'll probably come after the carb. I took apart the carburetor and cleaned out all the junk. It had leaky gaskets to start with, so i reused them since I plan to replace it anyway. It will crank when I fill the float bowl, but it quickly leans out once it starts pulling from the tank. Ive tried tuning it with no success, and I want the Weber anyway, so I dont plan on tinkering with this carter 1v anymore. So it does run, if only for 5 minutes.
'76 j10- currently in project mode
"Hey y'all, watch this!" means get out the camera
FSJ related donations now being accepted

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Make sure your fuel pump is working. It should be able to run off the tank just as good as off the float bowl. Since the pump just fills the float bowl for you.

And as I am sure you know, to get the best out of the weber you need an 81+ intake and exhaust manifold. It will bolt in place of your current stuff. But it provides a pretty decent bump in power, and the 81+ intake is aluminum and has a built in atomizer below the carb. Done this swap on several 70's CJ's.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I see your point, been there but do recommend you pick up a spare or two of the Prestolite ignition modules at the junk yard or wanted section of the board. The only brand of Prestolite module I have had decent luck with is Borg Warner. The rest of them seem to blow out if you look at them cross-eyed. I have had lightning strikes close in the nieghborhood fry them. The first time Krista was stranded on the side of the road over a fried Prestolite, I swore I would always have spares. We are running HEI now and I keep 2 spare modules in the glove box just for good measure.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
Green&Loud

Post by Green&Loud »

I have replaced the fuel pump and filter. So here's what ive been doing, tell me what im doing wrong. I pour a little bit of gas down the carburetor, then fill the float bowl through the vent tube. I crank it and it will run with my foot on the gas for a few minutes (extremely rough I might add), and then it dies out. I knows little gas is leaking through the crappy old gaskets, and I know there is plenty of fuel getting through the lines to the carburetor. Any ideas? Also, serehill mentioned the intake. I havent bought the Weber yet because im waiting until I can afford to put a new intake on at the same time, and id love to upgrade the exhaust manifold while im at it. So its a slightly bigger purchase than just a carb. Im trying to find some used manifolds close to me to avoid insane shipping rates

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

If you have to have your foot down it sounds like it is getting too much fuel, rather than not enough.

There should be an idle mixture screw at the base of the carb, it has a spring under it. Turn this in all the way while counting how many turns it takes (do not tighten, just turn until it stops). Then back it out 2 turns, and see how it does. Its possible there is something else up with the carb. But it certainly sounds like an issue of too much fuel.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Green&Loud

Post by Green&Loud »

I have to keep my foot down to keep it from dieing, and I though I had adjusted it after I put it back together but ill go check everything and see if anything changes. Thanks for the help guys. And Merry Christmas! :D

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Float is set too high OR (if black foam) it's soggy. The brass ones can get pinholes in them and sink too.

Another possibility is the intake manifold is loose or something else is causing a major vacuum leak.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
Green&Loud

Post by Green&Loud »

I haven't forgotten about the truck I just haven't had much time for it between church, band, soccer, boy scouts, and school. I did find some spare time this past Thursday and wrenched the gas tank skid plate off. After 37 years of rusting it didn't want to go anywhere! I plan on pulling the gas tank and cleaning ot out next chance I get, and then I think I'll opt for the $30 carburetor rebuild instead of the $300 new carb and intake. I still want the new carb one day, but until my first paycheck from my summer job I wont be spending much money. Anyway, thats where it sits now

Topic author
Green&Loud

Post by Green&Loud »

Hello all! Not much progress to speak of, senior year is keeping me busy. I have rebuilt the carburetor and got the truck to run for a couple of minutes but the fuel filter kept clogging. I took the gas tank off and after 2 months I finally made some time to clean it and get it put back. Waiting on a few more fuel lines to ship in and hopefully it'll all be back together this weekend. Then it'll be a few gallons of gas and ill see what ive got. This whole project has gone way slower than my original plan due to very little "toy" money and even less free time. Ill update again when something notable actually happens

Atla

Post by Atla »

Progress is progress! :)
~Atla. (I'm just here for the pictures)
1983 J-10
2001 TJ

My Build Thread - http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2722

hyampomj10

Post by hyampomj10 »

Sweet machine!

I've got the same setup in a '74

a carb rebuild, cleaning/replacing plugs and distributor cap, and checking the timing go a long way in getting those motors running well

Good luck! :-bd
1974 J10
258, 7120, HEI
3 speed