I'm taking back my garage

This is a place to share about tools and workspaces

Topic author
TUDrewser

I'm taking back my garage

Post by TUDrewser »

For the past 6 years or so, I've stored all my tools in a 6x12 enclosed trailer in my side yard. It has a back ramp and a side door, so it's been fairly easy to go in for the tool I need or roll out the air compressor, table saw, etc. However, it's never near the driveway when I'm working, and takes forever and a day to find anything. My amazing wife has heard my grumblings and finally prompted me to start cleaning out the garage and converting it to my work area.

I don't have any good before pictures, but this should give you an idea:

Granted, that was when we were installing some garage cabinets years ago, so everything was pushed to the middle. But the garage was our storage shed.

After a weekend and holiday of work, it now looks like this:

I bought the workbench at HF, but I glued every joint as I put it together and it's pretty rock solid now. As we were pulling away from the HF pickup, my wife spotted the sheet of peg board leaning up against a dumpster. Had a piece cut out, but that piece was there too. Yay! Used that piece for my air tools. Plan is to now build a welding table and put it on the left to complete my side of the garage (I've only been allowed half the garage so far ;-) ). I also ran fresh power to it...10 gauge wiring, 16 outlets. I've already used the space countless times for fixing little things...so nice to finally have a work bench. Not to mention the air compressor and hose reel at the ready. The workbench and electrical outlets/boxes/conduit were the only purchases...everything else came out of the trailer.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. Can't wait to work on the jeep with all my tools at the ready instead of working in my neighbor's driveway.
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.

jsinajeep

Re: I'm taking back my garage

Post by jsinajeep »

Which half of the garage is your :D

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Well sooner or later you will get the other side too :D .
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

It's nice to finally clean out your garage, isn't it?

If only I could keep mine clean….. :- (
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

FSJ Guy wrote:If only I could keep mine clean….. :- (

If only I HAD a garage... :banghead:
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

jaber wrote:
FSJ Guy wrote:If only I could keep mine clean….. :- (

If only I HAD a garage... :banghead:
Judging by your location, I don't think you need it as much as those of us in CO. LOL!
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

at jaber's altitude, I'll bet they still get some snow, and at least cold temps. but then, I need the garage for the summer ;-) I'm thinking an AC unit will mount in that all just fine...

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

They actually passed a law here to keep people from closing in their carports.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

carnuck wrote:They actually passed a law here to keep people from closing in their carports.
That's just stupid. What's the rationale?

rstep

Post by rstep »

Looks good Drew , wish my space would stay neat and clean.
1977 Cherokee Sold
I Don't own One
Stuff I Make.
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5620

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

TUDrewser wrote:
carnuck wrote:They actually passed a law here to keep people from closing in their carports.
That's just stupid. What's the rationale?
If it's anything like here, it's to make you pay for a building permit for a garage.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Locked and Loaded

Post by Locked and Loaded »

Your mancard is being mailed back to you. I have a side draft swamp cooler mounted in my garage. Cheaper to run. And it works good,
Drink more Water

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

TUDrewser wrote:at jaber's altitude, I'll bet they still get some snow, and at least cold temps. but then, I need the garage for the summer ;-) I'm thinking an AC unit will mount in that all just fine...
Right in between. This winter has been averaging between 40* and 55* for daily his, clear to partly cloudy. Summer can reach a sweltering 100* on hot days (when Phx is 120). My biggest complaint about not having one is the wind and dirt that blows up here. Makes it hard to tear into an engine when you dont think you can keep it clean... :banghead:

A/C, ppppfffttt, thats for wusses that cant hang... :shock: :lol:
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Well, right now I'm TOTALLY roughing it with no AC. And it was like 76 the other day. ;-)

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

TUDrewser wrote:Well, right now I'm TOTALLY roughing it with no AC. And it was like 76 the other day. ;-)
I'm going to put my dogs poop in a box and mail it to you! Not really, but that's awesome garage weather, brat. :P

I had a heated garage in WA but left it to move home to CO. I encourage every one of us to clear the cluttering BS and take back your garages if you have one! Right now I live in two places. I have my cabin in Bailey, CO and just got an apartment in Golden, CO to ease the pain at the gas pump. Neither has a garage but one is a whole lot closer to my girlfriends apartment in Denver.

The word "garage" used to be where you took your carriage to be repaired or serviced. With the rise of the Model T, "home garage" was where you an owner could store and fix their own horseless carriage. After a while "home garage" was dropped from "Popular Mechanics" in lue of just "garage". The garage was always central to automobiles, until the babyboomers started stuffing all their extra crap into them and pushing their cars out into the driveway. making way in the "garage" for storage and pingpong tables.

Good on you for taking back the garage, I hope everyone else who has a "garage" stuffed full of knicknacks and packrat crap follows suit! I know the random words of some guy on the internet are little motivation, but I also know first hand how hard it is to come home from a solid 8 hours and do anything productive. I hope that if anything this post reminds everyone reading it, that we don't live so we can go to work. We work so we can pay the price of living! Don't come home and fall into your chair, proud of knowing you've provided for yet another day. Come home and DO WHAT YOU LOVE!! Clean the garage so you wrench! Wrench so you can wheel! Wheel so that you can see what most never will, do what most will never do, and know that YOU achieved!

Mucho kudo's amigo. You've come a long way from "I think I got screwed when I bought this wag". ;)
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.