Vortec swap- list of components from donor truck?

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
GWAG91

Vortec swap- list of components from donor truck?

Post by GWAG91 »

Hi everyone,
I am fairly new to the forum trying to learn about a the vortec swaps.
I have a 1966 Wagoneer for which I was considering a complete drivetrain swap. I think that the best option for me would be to find a complete donor truck, a tahoe 4x4 2001-2005. I think that from the donor I would use;
1. 5.3 vortec engine
2. tranny with its TC
3. Engine wiring harness. Which would require modification. Novak is an option.
4. Donor computer. Would it need to reprogram if I am using the engine, tranny and TC from the same truck?

Am I missing any main component that could be used from the donor?
What about the front and rear axles on the jeep? Do you normally keep the stock ones or swap for modern ones? What would be a recommended set for the swap with this new drivetrain?
What would be recommended for the dash wiring? Would I take the donor's dash wiring harness and modify? Or would I need to modify the original dash harness to couple with the new modified engine harness?

Sorry about all the questions but I am excited to learn from the experts here.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Vortec swap- list of components from donor truck?

Post by Stuka »

If its a '66, you are going to want to switch out the axles as well. The stock axles in that (D27 front, 2-piece D44 rear) were weak even with the stock drive train. A 5.3L will turn them into little bits of metal bouncing down the road. If you had a 74+, stock axles would be fine. And actually the simplest swap would be axles from a later wagoneer.

The t-case from a GM of that year will be driver side drop, so you need an axle that is the same drop for up front. If using that t-case, axles from an 80-91 wagoneer will work. But you will also have to update the braking system to go with them. Which you will want to do anyway. That much power with poor drum brakes just isnt safe. The 80+ axles will have good front disc brakes, but your master cylinder and such will need to be updated to the later ones as well.

I do not know enough about the ECU side of things to answer you about those, but others do.

BTW: Welcome to the forum, glad you were able to login :)
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Billyj7175

Post by Billyj7175 »

From what I've read, you'll want the fuse box and accelerator pedal assy as well off of the donor.

Topic author
GWAG91

Post by GWAG91 »

Thank you, that is good information to keep in mind if I decide to go for the swap.

babywag

Post by babywag »

You'll need to get the computer flashed to remove VATS or it won't run.

Read the info on lt1swap.com covers wiring harness modification, and he does pcm programming for $75.
If you can read a schematic and solder modify the harness yourself and save your money for other needed stuff.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

XJChad

Post by XJChad »

I was reading on Novaks website and they say you dont have to get a 4wd tranny if you are going to use one of their adapters with the 4l60e. Their adapter replaces tbe same parts in both the 2wd and 4wd trannys.
I am getting ready to start this same project in our 89 GW. Searching for a good engine and tranny right now.
1989 Grand Wagoneer, 4" Rusty's Lift, LS 5.3L swap (in progress), 4L60e, NP241c.
1991 Grand Wagoneer, all stock, a work in progress, for sale soon.
1982 Cherokee Laredo, 360ci, aluminum intake, Edelbrock carb, HEI, w/32x11.50x15, warn 8000, Dana 44/AMC 20
2001 Cherokee Sport, Old Man Emu lift (worn out), front/rear C4x4 bumpers, Smittybuilt 10,000 winch, 31x10.50x15, Edge Tuner kit w/throttle body & AFE cold air, Gibson exhaust-my daily driver until the '89 is finished.

jeepfreak88

Post by jeepfreak88 »

I am thinking about this build myself. I love my WJ and will not get rid of it but in need something a little bigger to tow my wifes XJ with. Also we have another baby on the way and need something bigger than her dodge pickup. I have started my research and learned alot thus far. I have also started looking for a donor ls to use and have located a 85 WAGG with a bad 360, good trans, and very little rust(which is a big thing being that I live on the coast) for $500.
I am interested to see/read more builds before i commit tho. Iv looked around but cant find many good ones. Let me know if you find any.

Billyj7175 wrote:From what I've read, you'll want the fuse box and accelerator pedal assy as well off of the donor.
No you dont need the whole fuse box and gas peddle. If you send your harness off to be rebuilt (there are many people that set them up for stand alone) they input a small easy to use/place fuse block/relay center.
You will only need the gas pedal if you use a "drive by wire" donor. If you can find a drive by cable setup it is much easier to deal with.

I work at a chevy dealership and have come to the conclusion that the only good part of a chevy is the motor. Meaning that the only good chevy says JEEP on it...

XJChad

Post by XJChad »

I found a 5.3L this past weekend out of a '99 GMC with tranny and auto/push button transfer case. Is there a reason most use the 241c case instead of the auto case?
This setup I bought was the same price whether I took the t-case or not, so I took it.
1989 Grand Wagoneer, 4" Rusty's Lift, LS 5.3L swap (in progress), 4L60e, NP241c.
1982 Cherokee Laredo, 360ci, aluminum intake, Edelbrock carb, HEI, w/32x11.50x15, warn 8000, Dana 44/AMC 20
2001 Cherokee Sport, Old Man Emu lift (worn out), front/rear C4x4 bumpers, Smittybuilt 10,000 winch, 31x10.50x15, Edge Tuner kit w/throttle body & AFE cold air, Gibson exhaust-my daily driver until the '89 is finished.

chevelleguy

Post by chevelleguy »

The electric shift transfer case just complicates things even more. There is a transfer case controller and wiring under the dash on the drivers side that you will need inorder to make it work.
David
'83 Wag Limited, 360/727/pinned 229/D44 front/AMC20,lockrite,rear/6" BJ lift w/ 35/12.50/15 M/T Baja MTZ/ Pro-Jection EFI.

'16 Camaro SS
'98 STX1100 Jet ski
'96 ZXi 1100 Jet ski
'90 KDX 200

XJChad

Post by XJChad »

Okay thank you. I had wondered if there were other parts besides the dash buttons I would need.

msh227

Post by msh227 »

jeepfreak88 wrote:I am interested to see/read more builds before i commit tho. Iv looked around but cant find many good ones. Let me know if you find any.

There are plenty of Vortec swaps on this site, just browse the build thread section you will find them. I have one going see link in my signature.
Matt

1978 J10 5.3L/700r4/QT swap in progress.....

37x14.50R15 TOYO Open Country MT
4.56 Gears
6" BJs springs w/ BJs offroad shackles in front & 2" blocks in rear to level.
3" body lift

Build Thread:
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2300