Glenn's 76 Cherokee TBI swap

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
Renodemona

Re: Glenn's 76 Cherokee TBI swap

Post by Renodemona »

Pulled the heat shield off the old manifold and was greeted by something interesting. Two holes in the roof of the exhaust crossover for the EGR that were right under the primary barrels in the intake. I'm guessing these aren't supposed to be there? They look burned into the metal and were packed with years of carbon deposits and rust. Could have been the problem all along. I thought you were supposed to keep intake on the in side and exhaust on the out side and ne'er the two shall meet ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

babywag

Post by babywag »

Holes are supposed to be there. EGR needs a way back in...
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

Yet more evidence that getting rid of the EGR was still a good idea ;)

Topic author
Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

Edelbrock manifold installed and torqued down. Kind of makes the rest of the engine bay look like crap with that shiny new aluminum on there now :( Tomorrow everything gets re-hooked up!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Nice!

Don't worry, once you get all your stuff installed back on top of it, you'll barely be able to see it!
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Renodemona wrote:Edelbrock manifold installed and torqued down. Kind of makes the rest of the engine bay look like crap with that shiny new aluminum on there now :( Tomorrow everything gets re-hooked up!
Looks great - you weren't tempted to rattle-can spray it your favorite engine enamel color?

Oil leaks will show up really well on that bright aluminum.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Really appreciate your write up. I'm preparing for the same install, including Edelbrock Performer, but with the 7427. Couple of favors/questions:

1. Can you tell me where you got your TB to intake adapter, and which one you are using?

2. Is there any chance you can take detail shots of where you are putting each sensor? Especially coolant temp. I know where to put O2, though any others would be super helpful to my planning!
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

TUDrewser wrote:Really appreciate your write up. I'm preparing for the same install, including Edelbrock Performer, but with the 7427. Couple of favors/questions:

1. Can you tell me where you got your TB to intake adapter, and which one you are using?

2. Is there any chance you can take detail shots of where you are putting each sensor? Especially coolant temp. I know where to put O2, though any others would be super helpful to my planning!
You put the coolant temp sensor in the intake manifold.

So you will end up with TWO temp sensors. The stock one in the water outlet/thermostat housing and the TBI sensor in the intake manifold.

This way the computer knows the temp and you still see the temp on the stock gauge.

TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Blake wrote:
TUDrewser wrote:Really appreciate your write up. I'm preparing for the same install, including Edelbrock Performer, but with the 7427. Couple of favors/questions:

You put the coolant temp sensor in the intake manifold.

So you will end up with TWO temp sensors. The stock one in the water outlet/thermostat housing and the TBI sensor in the intake manifold.

This way the computer knows the temp and you still see the temp on the stock gauge.
Right, I figured that was the case...was just interested in WHERE it goes in the intake, as well as other sensors. I was also assuming the TBI sensor should at least go near the t-stat, no? Maybe that doesn't even matter. I should probably go take a look at my manifold but it's packed in a box under a bunch of other parts...

sgtpoliteness

Post by sgtpoliteness »

I have a stock 4 bbl AMC intake, but I put the ECT sensor for the PCM in one of the holes for one of the vacuum switches.
1977 Cherokee Chief WT w/ 2" lift
360 (originally a 401)/TH400/QT w/ MM part-time
16197427 $OD junkyard TBI set-up

TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Which vacuum switch/hole? Is there a list somewhere of vacuum switches that can be removed? Sorry, not trying to hijack...just following this thread really closely and appreciate the detail!

sgtpoliteness

Post by sgtpoliteness »

Uhhh...I'll have to run outside to double check but the one right near the t-stat, I believe.

Edit/Disclaimer: In the metro area in Colorado I have to go through emissions testing. Technically, it's a sniffer and a visual. However, seeing as how my truck is older than '82 I can take it to an independent testing facility. The one I go to is owned/operated by a cool, old muscle car guy who happens to like my truck. I've disconnected EGR so I don't need the CTS for that anymore, and I get the sniffer test (which passes AWESOME, even without a cat, which wasn't required on our trucks because they're over 6000lbs GVW).
1977 Cherokee Chief WT w/ 2" lift
360 (originally a 401)/TH400/QT w/ MM part-time
16197427 $OD junkyard TBI set-up

babywag

Post by babywag »

TUDrewser wrote:Which vacuum switch/hole? Is there a list somewhere of vacuum switches that can be removed? Sorry, not trying to hijack...just following this thread really closely and appreciate the detail!
If you're rolling your own junkyard TBI, you can remove all 3 CTO's, and use the stock GM EGR control vacuum solenoid if needed to pass smog.
Can easily enable/disable EGR in the .bin if you want.

ECT goes in the front passenger side CTO location of intake.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

TUDrewser:
Well I haven't got her running so might not want to copy my stuff just yet ;)
I do not have to pass emissions, if you do some of what I did might not work.
I placed the temp sensor in the left (passenger) side port on the water crossover. The right (driver's) port is a smaller thread size for the engine temp gauge on the dash. The 02 sensor goes into the exhaust pipe DOWNstream of the manifold. Don't drill a hole in the manifold even if your instructions say to do so :) I removed just about all of my vacuum system including EGR (funny egg shaped thing on the back of the manifold) and all the CTO switches (these have 2 or 3 1/4" vacuum ports). There is a vacuum take off at the very rear passenger's side to supply vac to trans/QT, there is a port to the rear of the carb/TB for vacuum that I currently have plugged. There is a port in front of the carb/TB that powers the break booster. The TB itself has timed spark for the distributor and 2 vacuum ports. One of these goes to the gas tank purge vent thingy and the other is PCV. The vent from the oil fill tube goes to the air cleaner.

Before swapping in the new manifold I used a Transdapt open center spreadbore adaptor. I used the transdapt 2210 to mount the TB. I'll send the adaptor to you for the cost of shipping. :D
Last edited by Renodemona on Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

tgreese wrote:
Renodemona wrote:Edelbrock manifold installed and torqued down. Kind of makes the rest of the engine bay look like crap with that shiny new aluminum on there now :( Tomorrow everything gets re-hooked up!
Looks great - you weren't tempted to rattle-can spray it your favorite engine enamel color?

Oil leaks will show up really well on that bright aluminum.
HAHA Naw, I don't know what color the truck is going to end up down the road so it probably wouldn't match then anyway. Plus I have some chromed valve covers that might one day migrate on there and aluminum would match them better. :lol:

TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

I'm actually exempt from emissions, so good there. Though I actually may try running whatever the holey system keeps for California. I don't mind some clean air. ;)

And would love the adapter if it will work! Why'd you decide not to use it?

Sent from Tapatalk

Topic author
Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

Edelbrock Manifold is square bore already, the mounting plate bolts right to it.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

RE emissions, I personally know of a particular FSJ that was fuel injected with a non-EGR Performer intake and passed the IM-240 test. Even did it on a Fast Pass, too!!

RE intake sensors, you just need the GN temp sender added. It can go where one of the coolant CTO's used to be. Stock temp sender goes in the (yes!) stock location. Any others can be blocked off.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

Good to know on emissions if I ever want to drive more than 5K in a year :)

Topic author
Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

Started putting it back together again! Had to stack everything up to double check that it still clears the hood. It does! (barely) I might have take the spacer off the manifold. We'll see. There's just not a lot of metal surface to seal to on the manifold and I wonder if it will be harder to get the gasket to stick without a big block of aluminum pressing down on it, just the mount for the throttle body?

I digress!
Found another bad vacuum line. I guess the 4x4 switch wasn't hooked up to vacuum from the time I bought the truck as it was wrapped up in the windshield washer lines this whole time! Doh! Good thing I didn't go off road. Another couple feet of new hose and it was good to go. Re-mounted that triangle bracket that holds the A/C pump. Forgot to look up how long the belts are supposed to be without the A/C as I want to ditch it rather than buy a new unit. It doesn't really get hot enough here to need it, especially up in the mountains. Anyone know off hand how long the belts are that would go from just the main pulley to the Alternator?

Also got the new oil fill tube on there. OOOHHHHH Shiny! I thought I had a chromed oil cap too but I guess not so I ordered a replacement yellow plastic one. I could probably spray paint it shiny metal.

Finally got the brake booster line hooked up. Then the sun went behind the house and my hands started getting too cold for it to be fun. Unless we go to weekly sushi tomorrow (yum!) I should have her all back together. Decisions, decisions...

Enjoy! (Also I forgot to take detail shots for TUDrewser for the sensors, will do that tomorrow!)