TBI throttle cable ball stud-long

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
78 Arizona Chief

TBI throttle cable ball stud-long

Post by 78 Arizona Chief »

One and all,
I am slowly installing a AFI TBI FI kit on my 360. Had a question. Where can I find one of those taller stand-off type throttle cable ball studs. I have seen a couple of picts of various TBI installs that have the taller ball stud that allows the cable to clear the other GM TBI attachment at the very top of the throttle arm. Anyone know where to get one?

Also, where do you all find your firewall grommets? Anyone have a part number for one they really liked? Thanks for any insite.
Kevin
1978 Cherokee Chief: Parents bought new. 360/TH400/NOS Quadratrac, 44's/ARB's/4.10's, SOA, Shackle Flip, Alcan Springs, FOX 2.0's, 35" BFG KM2s, custom bumpers, 324,000 miles and counting...

FSJ Guy

Re: TBI throttle cable ball stud-long

Post by FSJ Guy »

I think Edelbrock had a stud included with its "extender" kit. I bought one years ago, however. I don't remember the name of the particular kit, unfortunately. Try the Help! section, too. I'm always surprised what I find there! LOL!
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

I believe I got mine out of the Help section in the McParts house.
Seems like I went to Ace for the firewall plug. ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
78 Arizona Chief

Jeff,
hey can you send me a pict or two of how your throttle attachment looks? I picked up a Holley and Edelbrock throttle stud kit and they appear too short.

Then for the firewall grommett, what was the plug you used for originally intended for?
Thanks,
Kevin
1978 Cherokee Chief: Parents bought new. 360/TH400/NOS Quadratrac, 44's/ARB's/4.10's, SOA, Shackle Flip, Alcan Springs, FOX 2.0's, 35" BFG KM2s, custom bumpers, 324,000 miles and counting...

babywag

Post by babywag »

Holley and others have assortment packs of ball studs.
Most auto parts stores don't stock them anymore though.
I've never seen one that's as long as the TBI though.

You can get small threaded tubes/spacers from the hardware store(ACE around here) and make one whatever length you wish/need?
Small bolt on one end, spacer then stud on the other end.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Hey Kevin, Just saw your post.
I ran out and grabbed pics from the wifes GW.

Dont know how I got this effect, but its cool...

Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
78 Arizona Chief

Jeff thanks for those. My arm looks a little different. Where you have your throttle cable, on mine there is one of those tabs for a c clip. You have an open hole down and forward of your throttle attachment point which mine does too. I think I will use the idea of the the threaded long nut studs to make it the length I want it. Thanks all for the ideas and picts Jeff.
Kevin

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Mine had that clip stud on it and I drilled it out to put my ball stud in. ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer

babywag

Post by babywag »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391103091.384023.jpg
I've found the above throttle bodies work well. Just a ball stud on my '90 made the throttle too stiff. Swapped it out for length above and throttle smooth as butter.
They also have a really long one, but again not a good fit.
Could adjust the bracket etc., but this type/length works w/o doing a thing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
78 Arizona Chief

Babywag,
mine looks just like that one. It the end I will see how high the t-body sits off the manifold (Performer) and then probably go the smae route you did. Thanks all for the pictures. I really appreciate it!

On a related but different note, I have read a lot of threads on the TBI swap. I ended up getting a complete emissions compliant kit from Affordable Fuel Injection with VSS, full HEI control, and heated 3-wire O2. I had seen the prefered computer part number, and last night took a look at mine. Number on my case is 16136965 BCDU. I don't plan on tuning it myself so I guess it doesn't matter.
Kevin

babywag

Post by babywag »

I believe both my throttle bodies are from cars, so that would make sense if yours is similar.
Your ecm is from a car, probably pretty similar to 1227747.

Link below if you want to play with TunerPro and see what's in there.
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inject ... rmation-62
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
78 Arizona Chief

Thanks for the link. Someday I might brave into the tuning world. At this point I am just nervously excited. I have had my Holley TA 670 carb for a long time and it is dialed in pretty darn good if you ask me. But even Holley claims it is not intended for towing which is my biggest gripe. Plus altitude adjustment will be so nice with this. For what it is worth, it is really tight getting a vehicle speed sensor on the Quadratrac t-case. The cable is touching the lowrange unit. It works I guess. I may end up getting new cables and running the sensor on the cruise control unit later. I have bypassed the cc and am using a single cable to the speedo. O2 sensor is in. All emissions stuff is off. New fuel tank selector valve with 2 filters was put on last night. Tonight fuel pump and other piddly stuff. Then this weekend finish the install. Should be running by Sunday. FWIW the throttle body from AFI looks brand new. Cheers!
Kevin

babywag

Post by babywag »

Will the vss fit on the cruise fitting on the box? Shorter run of wire and a little more space if it does.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
78 Arizona Chief

The VSS should fit on the cruise unit as one end is large like the t-case fitting and one is small like the speedo end. If I remember correctly the input side of the cruise is small and the output is large. The VSS is large like the t-case side. I have a brand new speedo cable full length to bypass the cruise unit and I was able to gently put a soft bend in the steel colar that the holing nut rides on. It just barely and I mean credit card thickness just clears the lowrange unit. I will see if it has any pulsing issues with the speedo. If it does, the VSS is going up on the cruise unit and new cables will be sought.
Kevin

Topic author
78 Arizona Chief

One last question all, where did you mount your map sensor? It looks like a lot mount it under the aircleaner on the housing. I assume the vacuum port at the back of the tbi between the fuel ports is the one for the map correct?
Kevin

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

That where I mounted mine on the 77 Cherokee I will try to get you a picture tomorrow.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

I've never actually "mounted" mine anywhere. I usually just plug it into a vac line/port and let it hang there. But I'm sure Jerry has an awesome mounting photo for you.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

On the wagon, the CUSTOMEFIS harness put it on the driver fender well with the ign mod and several fuses all mounted together.

On the Caddy, I just made a simple little bracket to hang it on the firewall next to my relays.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

This is how I done it on the 77Chero

TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Where'd you mount your coil, Jerry?
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.