Seat belts

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
KC87Wagoneer

Seat belts

Post by KC87Wagoneer »

My rear seat belt receivers have broke. They were plastic. I would like to know if there is any where to buy just the female side in metal. I was looking for them in the junk yard today and all Chrysler and Jeep receivers I saw were the skinny kind. Anyone know of a donor car for just the receiver? Don't really want to pay for a new full set.
1987 Grand Wagoneer

FSJ Guy

Re: Seat belts

Post by FSJ Guy »

Junk yard is your best bet. Sometimes, you can get metal female ends that will work with your existing male ends. If it's a junkyard pull, it's just as easy to get the full set.

Bring your Torx bits and a breaker bar. : D
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

pyro

Post by pyro »

Send rocklaurence a pm...he gets seatbelts in all the time. That's where I got my metal female ends (Cherokee versions)
'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
'82 Cherokee 258/TF904
'84 CJ-8 258/T176

Florida FSJ's Click Here!!!

Topic author
KC87Wagoneer

Post by KC87Wagoneer »

I sent a pm to rocklaurence. Thanks for the lead.

On the junk yard option I wasn't share if the retractable end from just any car with tan belts would fit in the stock cover/box of the GW.

Are the newer Cherokee/Wrangler receivers made of tougher plastic that won't crack when our back seats land on them and gear slides over them?

'87-94 xj looks like a direct replacement with metal receiver. Can anyone verify?

I've got my torx bits and a 18" 1/2" drive. Worked getting the old ones out with a little bit of elbow ;)
Last edited by KC87Wagoneer on Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1987 Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
KC87Wagoneer

Post by KC87Wagoneer »

FSJ Guy, do you have pick of where you mounted your rear seat belt top strap loop under
the headliner? I really like the way this looked on your website but would like to see how the bolt mounted to the roof. Why did you mount them so far back? Was that because of the cargo cover and mounting position of the spool?
1987 Grand Wagoneer

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

That's where the bolt exists. It's a factory bolt that apparently was originally used to mount an interior tire carrier.

The Rear Belts page shows picture without the headliner.

If the yard allows, bring your existing belt in for a test fit. Some yards don't allow this however.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
KC87Wagoneer

Post by KC87Wagoneer »

Got it. Guess I was looking just at the "rear belts again" page not the first one.
1987 Grand Wagoneer

acct21

Post by acct21 »

FSJ Guy wrote:That's where the bolt exists. It's a factory bolt that apparently was originally used to mount an interior tire carrier.
It is indeed a factory anchor, but it is there for dealer-installed rear shoulder belts! Federal safety standards in the early 1970s had at one point recommended that all vehicles manufactured after August 1, 1977 have rear shoulder belts equipped from the manufacturer, but this was not actually written into law. Several states had stricter standards than the federal standards, so AMC seems to have quietly installed the anchors so a seat belt kit could be installed as/when needed -- whether due to state or federal requirements.

The actual requirements for standard rear shoulder belts came into effect in 1991; that's why the Final Editions have factory rear shoulder belts -- mounted in the exact same anchors that have been there for nearly 25 years!
1990 GW with HD towing package -- everything works! (today, anyway)

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

I have some in my closet, they came out of my 90...they may need
a bit of cleaning but they work. Want to trade? PM me if you wish :)

I can take pics too...
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

letank

Re: Seat belts anchor point under headliner

Post by letank »

My 74 has the rear anchor point. The TSM has a layout template so the dealership can locate the mounting hole without removing the headliner.
But no provision to mount a front shoulder belt. You would have to drill a hole and slide some backing plate w a welded nut in the B pillar. The same way the rear door stricker plate is secured to the body.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)