Oil Pump Gear Backlash/Clearance

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Herezja

Oil Pump Gear Backlash/Clearance

Post by Herezja »

Just wondering if anyone knows what is considered excessive or acceptable for the oil pump gear clearance on a 360. Putting my Jeep back together and there seems to be a little play between the oil pump gears (about .010). Just want to make sure its not too much.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Last edited by Herezja on Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

tgreese

Re: Oil Pump Gear Backlash/Clearance

Post by tgreese »

Have you read the TSM about this? It gives a spec for end play between the cover and the gears and side play between the body and gears. There is no spec for clearance between the gears. You could inspect the gear faces for excess wear, I suppose. My feeling is that it does not matter, because one gear is driven and the other is on an idler shaft and working against the oil pressure. So the faces of the gears will always be against each other, other than the film of oil between them.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Herezja

Post by Herezja »

tgreese wrote:Have you read the TSM about this? It gives a spec for end play between the cover and the gears and side play between the body and gears. There is no spec for clearance between the gears. You could inspect the gear faces for excess wear, I suppose. My feeling is that it does not matter, because one gear is driven and the other is on an idler shaft and working against the oil pressure. So the faces of the gears will always be against each other, other than the film of oil between them.
Thanks for the info. I don't have a TSM, but have been trying to bring myself to spend the money on one. Right now I make due with my Chilton's manual and there wasn't anything in there. I suspect that it doesn't really matter myself, just want to double-check.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Look at any TSM on the www.oljeep.com site - 1974, 1976, 1982. They all cover the 360. There will be no difference in this topic from year to year.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.