Emmissions equipment questions

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
BostonWag

Emmissions equipment questions

Post by BostonWag »

I have an '88 GW that I'm in the process of getting back on the road (she hasn't run since the summer of 2011, but that's a sad story for another time).

WRT the emissions system, like many people, I'm in the position of having both sets of AIR tubes broken off, some of the banjo bolts removed / some broken inside the manifold, none of the hardline that used to run from the AIR tubes to the cat, and a mess of rubber tubes and check valves leading from the smog pump to the general area where the AIR tubes used to be....

My questions are:

1) In order to pass inspection here in MA, do I need to rebuild the whole AIR tube system (new tubes, new hardline, etc)? It might be old enough now that it isn't subject to an actual emissions test, but I'd love to hear from any fellow MA FSJers who know for sure (tgreese, I'm looking at you).

2) If I *do* need to rebuild it, then I know that I can get new AIR tubes, but what could I use to replace the hardline?

3) If I *don't* need to replace it, then I imagine that I'll need to a new cat (one w/o the input that went to the hardline). Should I consider headers or just replace the banjo bolts with regular bolts and call it a day?

4) In either case, I'll somehow need to get the broken banjo bolts out, but I can search the forum for advice on that front.

Thanks for your help!

tgreese

Re: Emmissions equipment questions

Post by tgreese »

BostonWag wrote:I have an '88 GW that I'm in the process of getting back on the road (she hasn't run since the summer of 2011, but that's a sad story for another time).

WRT the emissions system, like many people, I'm in the position of having both sets of AIR tubes broken off, some of the banjo bolts removed / some broken inside the manifold, none of the hardline that used to run from the AIR tubes to the cat, and a mess of rubber tubes and check valves leading from the smog pump to the general area where the AIR tubes used to be....

My questions are:

1) In order to pass inspection here in MA, do I need to rebuild the whole AIR tube system (new tubes, new hardline, etc)? It might be old enough now that it isn't subject to an actual emissions test, but I'd love to hear from any fellow MA FSJers who know for sure (tgreese, I'm looking at you).

2) If I *do* need to rebuild it, then I know that I can get new AIR tubes, but what could I use to replace the hardline?

3) If I *don't* need to replace it, then I imagine that I'll need to a new cat (one w/o the input that went to the hardline). Should I consider headers or just replace the banjo bolts with regular bolts and call it a day?

4) In either case, I'll somehow need to get the broken banjo bolts out, but I can search the forum for advice on that front.

Thanks for your help!
Pretty sure an '88 is emissions exempt in MA. My '95 Golf is no longer inspected for emissions. There is a safety inspection, however.

Can't tell you about deleting the air injection and keeping the catalytic convertor. I believe that type of cat needs the air flow from the AI system, but later types of cat do not. So conceivably you could use the later style of cat and still have low tailpipe emissions, even without the AI.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

TBT

Post by TBT »

Anything pre'96 is emissions exempt in MA. They now use the OBD port to read emissions. Pre'96 they don't care if the emission equipment is there or not. They don't even care if the CAT is there. Basically if you can drive it in under it's own power, the lights work, the tires look good, and you can pay the $29.00 fee, it passes!! Oh and no rust thru. Just patch it with 3M body tape and your good. I live in far western ma. 120 miles west of Boston, but not far enough. They just banned plastic shopping bags here, because they don't break down in landfills, not realizing that everything here goes in a compactor. Then is trucked to Bridgeport, CT and burned. Long live the CA of the east coast. Tom

Topic author
BostonWag

Post by BostonWag »

Thanks for the responses; I'm glad that I don't have to put the system back together.

I'll likely get a new cat, but I need to get the GW running before I cross that bridge.