Steering column shot

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
spyoung

Steering column shot

Post by spyoung »

Question:
Steering column in my 79 Chief is shot (tilt). It is cracked and broken beyond repair. I am seeing a couple of Wagoneer's on Craigslist being parted out. One is an 82 the other an 88. Would these be suitable to replace a 79? Also there is a GMC 74-79 Steering column but it does not have the indicator on the top of the column. :roll: Which way would you go if you were in my shoes?
Thanks

AwesomeJ10

Re: Steering column shot

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I think all of the columns you just mentioned are literally a 'bolt in'. Even the wiring is the same.

Topic author
spyoung

Post by spyoung »

Cool Thanks Blake. Do you know when the gear indicators we switched to inside the dash V.S. being on to of the column? Maybe I am just getting greedy :)

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

GM had them in the dash from about 75 the 82 is on the column. You'll have to swap your indicator for the one on the 82 because the indicator on the TH400 79 is different than the one on the 727 82. the 88 is a little different & will take some wiring ETC to work the dimmer in in the
column on that one. 82 is the only real bolt in although you could take 6thre Chevy parts & rebuild yours probably.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

I have a 78 tilt column with matching key for door locks, glove box, and rear window switch I will be posting in a few days
got to get them cleaned up a little.

Topic author
spyoung

Post by spyoung »

I will be at Roosevelt lake next weekend. What do you think you want for the column? How are the innards? I approached my task today thinking I was just tightening the four torx bolts only to find the cast housing cracked broken and generally abused.

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

spyoung wrote:I will be at Roosevelt lake next weekend. What do you think you want for the column? How are the innards? I approached my task today thinking I was just tightening the four torx bolts only to find the cast housing cracked broken and generally abused.
PM being sent