Jason's '77 Cherokee Chief S WT

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
sgtpoliteness

Jason's '77 Cherokee Chief S WT

Post by sgtpoliteness »

Hi everyone! I picked up this Cherokee last weekend here in town. It was originally a 401 truck years ago but now has a 360/TH400/QT combo. Not sure about the diff ratios yet. Most everything seems to work (p/s and trans leaks, heater only blows out the bottom vents) and there's almost no rust. I wanted something the wife and I could take camping and moderate trail driving. Also, I'm pretty sure it's got the part-time 4WD conversion due to the locking hubs up front and that the front shaft re-spins. I'm a total Jeep noob, so I'm eager to learn. Here's a pic, more to follow!

jeep1 by galaxieboi, on Flickr

Immediate repairs are sorting out the leaks and getting the heat to function properly. Other than that I'd REALLY like a roof rack and a winch.
1977 Cherokee Chief WT w/ 2" lift
360 (originally a 401)/TH400/QT w/ MM part-time
16197427 $OD junkyard TBI set-up

srobertsfsj

Re: Jason's '77 Cherokee Chief S WT

Post by srobertsfsj »

Wow what a beautiful WT, congrats on the find and welcome to the madness. :D
Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer "Super Chief" 5.3L drivetrain/ WT conversion / TT's Fabworks SOA and SF / 37x12.5x17 BFG A/T KO3 http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 294&p=3364

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep’s temp going towards that 220F mark, I’m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

lindel

Post by lindel »

Usual ratio for a late 70s would be 3.54:1.

Nice looking WT, makes me miss mine in a bad way.
Lindel

Topic author
sgtpoliteness

Post by sgtpoliteness »

Thanks, guys! I couldn't be more excited about this thing.

Scott, how's yours with the 6" lift? Mine came with the BJ's Off road 6" lift kit (obviously not installed) and I've been trying to decide whether to sell it or install it. I don't think my wife is super excited about trying to climb into it being a few inches taller.
1977 Cherokee Chief WT w/ 2" lift
360 (originally a 401)/TH400/QT w/ MM part-time
16197427 $OD junkyard TBI set-up

COwagonman

Post by COwagonman »

Really nice solid looking Chief :-bd You will really enjoy it!
1979 Jeep Wagoneer 360 CI ,QT w Low Range,TH400,56k Original Miles

"Growing old is mandatory,Growing up is optional"

ClovisMan

Post by ClovisMan »

sgtpoliteness wrote:Thanks, guys! I couldn't be more excited about this thing.

Scott, how's yours with the 6" lift? Mine came with the BJ's Off road 6" lift kit (obviously not installed) and I've been trying to decide whether to sell it or install it. I don't think my wife is super excited about trying to climb into it being a few inches taller.
I'd sell it and get one of those Cushy 4 inch Superlift kits. You could still run 33's. I've heard all the kits other than Superlift will rattle the fillings out of your head.
That thing truly is a beauty.
88 Grand Wagoneer - The Money Pit - 360/727/NP208 - SOA/SF - Lots of other stuff SOLD
78 Cherokee Chief - Copper - 360/TH400/Quadratrac - 4 inch BDS lift - 33 inch tires SOLD