New soft top for the TJ!

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
lindel

New soft top for the TJ!

Post by lindel »

Got my new soft top yesterday from Softopper.

Still needs some tweaks, but most of those will have to wait for warmer weather. Mostly for appearance. There's also a panel to store the windows when I'm running in safari mode that I haven't installed yet. Don't figure there's much need unless we get a real warm spell, or spring gets here.
Lindel

Grand_Wag_85

Re: New soft top for the TJ!

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Looks good! Does it fit well? I went with an aftermarket OEM style top when we did our '98 and never could get it to fit as well as the factory top.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

Topic author
lindel

Post by lindel »

It fits good, and is ultimately tweakable. The zippers for the side and rear windows are held on to the top via velcro, and can be placed where needed for the best fit.

It's still a little tight right now, and with this being the warmest day for the near future, I'm going to have to wait some to make any adjustments.

www.softopper.com and then click on the Jeep link. BTW, they're made in Boulder.
Lindel

AustinAubinoe

Post by AustinAubinoe »

Nice! was thinking it was one of those cheapo tops. I put a new top on my dads 2000 2 years ago. Just went with the factory replacement bestop. Maybe in 10 years ill get one of these!
Austin

1991 Hunter Green Grand Wagoneer
OEM grille guard, 30" Firestone M/T's, MSD TFI, 727 aluminum deep pan
SOON: 4350 motercraft W/ factory boat anchor spread-bore intake!

-2000 Cherokee. 1979 D60 HP kingpin front W/ lock right, 1999 E350 D60 rear W/ ARB. 8" front coils, 6.5" rear leafs, 2" shackles, RK 3 link, 35" SSR's

-1955 Willys Truck!! 226 Super Hurricane, T90, Dana 18. Dana 25-Dana 53 Axles RUNS FANTASTIC!

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The soft top on my JK is trashed. The sail panels scratch so easily, I can hardly see out the side panels now.

I have been keeping my eye open for a hard top. While the soft tops are great for being fast to remove, a hard top is so much nicer for everything else.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
lindel

Post by lindel »

At $550, with all the parts being replaceable and the top being made with sailcloth, it was too good a deal to pass on. I've removed all the bracketry for the hardtop and stashed it all in the garage, along with the old top (I just haven't tossed that in the trash yet, I still have to get the fabric off the frame).

I plan on getting a window roll, or using the top storage provided with the softopper, but I'll have felt in between the windows to minimize scratches.
Lindel

pyro

Post by pyro »

i've never seen that top before...i have a bestop replace-a-top that was put on years ago. how do you like the zipper quality?
'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
'82 Cherokee 258/TF904
'84 CJ-8 258/T176

Florida FSJ's Click Here!!!

Topic author
lindel

Post by lindel »

pyro wrote:i've never seen that top before...i have a bestop replace-a-top that was put on years ago. how do you like the zipper quality?

Very good. Regular type zipper, not the coil style that was on the original. It's like the zipper on a M65 field jacket if you've seen one of those.

2 zippers each on the side windows and 3 zippers on the rear window. I can get some pics of the zippers if you want.

The material the top is made of is very thick, seems to be about twice the thickness of the old top.
Lindel