Lumpskie's "More Questions than Answers" build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Re: Lumpskie's "More Questions than Answers" build

Post by Lumpskie »

Does anyone have any suggestions on what's going on with my power door locks?

The issue is that when I use the switch on the door panel AND the door is closed both front door locks will only pop up part way then return to the locked position. When the door is open, there isn't a problem. When you manually pull up on the lock, there isn't a problem. The issue only occurs when you are using the electric switch and the door is closed.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

The lock motors and linkages need lubing and the "overcenter" spring may have rusted off. If they self lock while driving too, that's the usual issue.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

^Thanks for the reply, Carnuck. I lubed the linkage, but didn't check the overcenter spring. What does it look like?
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

So, I haven't had much time to tend to the waggy lately but I did do a little painting on it. In the process, I found a rust removal product that seems to work really well. It's called "A Must for Rust" and it worked way better than I expected on some surface rust on my roof. Check it out!

Before:

2 minute soak and 10 seconds of rubbing with a paper towel:

5 minute soak and rubbing with a shop rag:

It worked well enough that I thought it was worth sharing.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Does anybody know if this is the stuff that they use on Wagoneers? My dad had some of this overlay left from his '87 Plymouth Voyager:

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

I have seen kits that include pre-cut panels to replace the wood grain
on Jeeps. That stuff looks like a huge roll that you could cut out the
shapes you need. If that is the case, I'd find a template if possible and
cut out what you need.

The pre fab kits are like 600.00$ :shock:
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Jjkage84

Post by Jjkage84 »

Awesome on the "A must for rust"! Where's you get that at bud?
Keep Calm and Jeep On!

http://www.youtube.com/JeepKage101

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

^Jjkage84: Sorry for the late reply! I bought it off of Amazon for around $10, if I recall correctly.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

After I got the radio working, I put $10 worth of junk yard speakers in the rear to replace the original Jensen units. Honestly, I'm surprised at the quality of the Jensen units. If they were still new, I'd probably take them over the new Sonys.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

My dash mount rear window switch didn't work when I got the Grand Wagoneer. It would roll down the rear window, but wouldn't roll it back up. Today, my dad and I tackled that project.

First, we verified that the switch was good with a multi-meter. It turns out that there was a coating on the connector prongs. After a little sanding, It checked out.

Next, we checked out the tailgate. There was a lot of old lithium grease in there, but it seemed like there was a lot of resistance against the rear window. So, we re-lubed the gears and slides in there.

While we were in there, we found out why the rear defroster wasn't working... cut wire. So, we soldered it back together.

Now, the dash switch works, the window slides smoother and more quietly and the rear defroster works!

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

So, at this point we got everything working: the rear window works, the rear defroster works and the rear windshield wiper works. BUT the rear window would move reeeeaallly slowly. So, per everyone's advice, we took a look at the window tracks. Here's what we found:
One side of the track is totally worn out while the other is in good shape. This gave us an idea:

Final design:

We sprayed everything down with silicon lube and the windows rolls up and down in 3.5 seconds! Thanks guys.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

I bought cheap Roof Top Tent I found on Craigslist. I got it with a 4 bar roof rack system for $350. My thinking is that this will be a relatively cheap way to give RTT camping a try. If we really get into it, we can upgrade later on and probably not loose too much money on the deal.

Here it is closed:

Here's the Yakima Rack stuff:

And here's the tent open:

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Now THAT is too cool!

Looking good Lumpie.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Thanks Tatsadasayago! I think it will be really handy when running White Rim. I can keep all my gear inside and flip it open when we park to camp.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I tried reading the tag...is that Mombasa Outdoors?
Also, did the roof rack come with the tent originally?
How does the tent base fasten to the rack?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am seriously digging that idea for quick setup, no snakes n scorpions and keeping the insides available for other gear.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Ahhh you beat me to that wag... Well I'm glad to see it went to a good home.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Tatsadasayago wrote:I tried reading the tag...is that Mombasa Outdoors?
Also, did the roof rack come with the tent originally?
How does the tent base fasten to the rack?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am seriously digging that idea for quick setup, no snakes n scorpions and keeping the insides available for other gear.
Hey Tatsadasaygo,

I like answering questions! (it means that someone is actually reading my build, LoL)

So, I bought the tent and rack together off of Craigslist but they're not a package deal usually. The rack is really 2 Yakima A1 base racks like this:

http://www.yakima.com/shop/racksystems/ ... aingutter/

The tent is a Mombasa Outdoors tent, like you saw. Here's the website:
http://www.mombasaoutdoors.com/pages/03_prod.htm

BUT, if I were to buy a tent new, I really want a Cascadia Vehicle Tent (CVT). They're built tougher and are generally higher quality. Here's the tent I really want:
http://cascadiatents.com/Mt-Shasta-Roof ... 15&&id=116

I like this design because you enter the tent from below, so you're protected from the weather. Plus, the annex is included. So, you can sleep 2 people up top (rated for 3, but I think that would be cramped) and you can sleep 2 more below. That would be perfect for me. On a FSJ, you could get a bigger tent as well... they make some that sleep 4+ inside the tent itself!

BUT, for $350, I'm really happy with the rack and tent I found :)

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Nikkormat wrote:Ahhh you beat me to that wag... Well I'm glad to see it went to a good home.
That's funny! Were you looking at this Waggy, last year? Looks like you ended up with a really sweet rig anyway.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Had a buddy that got one, so he found a J10 bed trailer, put some side boxes on it and had me build a rack for it. Loved it and would love to find one myself. :-bd

And yes, just because we dont respond, doesnt mean we're not watching you... :twisted:
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Lumpskie wrote:
Nikkormat wrote:Ahhh you beat me to that wag... Well I'm glad to see it went to a good home.
That's funny! Were you looking at this Waggy, last year? Looks like you ended up with a really sweet rig anyway.

Yeah I got lucky, I had actually given up looking for fsj's and was looking for an older Audi with the inline five. While we were in negotiations for one I put Quadratrac into craigslist just for fun and six hours later, I owned the hot mess I maintain now.

That wag is sweet though, a steal of a deal for sure.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.