1991 Grand Wagoneer restore/modify - Missoula MT

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
jstev4610

Re: 1991 Grand Wagoneer restore/modify - Missoula MT

Post by jstev4610 »

lil jeep mec wrote:okay i have to know what paint you used and how much you used, what primer you used how many coads of each you did!!!! IT LOOKS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :idea:
http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/enginemetallic/

Fire Red. Two cans. The metallic is a pain to apply, eliminating runs is virtually impossible.

surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

fantastic work. Its looking great. The marine teak wood vinyl on the doors looks awesome------def stealing that one. Keep up the good work!
89 GW- Rebuilt 360 w RV camshaft, 4 inch Rustys spring lift, 1" body lift, dana 44HD front, 14 bolt rear 3.73's.
78 Cherokee Chief- work in progress

pcoplin

Post by pcoplin »

Looks fantastic! Solid work. And wallet. :)
85 Grand Wagoneer 5.2/44RE/NP229
98 TJ 5.9/46RE/D300
97 F250 Powerstroke

Texasagg

Post by Texasagg »

Subscribed. Looks incredible. Can't wait to see your dash!

TrenchFoot

Post by TrenchFoot »

Nice build, sorry to hear about your engine problems. I hope your shop can make it right.

For years I planned to send a dash pad off an old Pontiac I had to http://justdashes.com/. I heard they do good work but I don't have any first-hand experience.
'78 Waggy: 401/QT pulling the rust down the road. 6.2L +turbo waiting in the wings.

Stjonesin4

Post by Stjonesin4 »

Beautiful job! I love the new interior! The motor is not bad also :).
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Hd_Jeep

Post by Hd_Jeep »

Great work keep it up. looks really nice!

Topic author
jstev4610

Post by jstev4610 »

ok getting closer, maybe a week out from having everything but the center console finished. Going to make a trip to montanaoverland one more time Friday for a couple tiny parts.

Blasted and painted seat mounts

Recovering the overhead console. Going to make it two tone, and remove the flip down storage.

Finished install on the door panel. The chrome trim on the door grab was beyond rehab, so it got painted.

The carpet is down in the front. All the wiring is going to come up to the middle of the console we're building, with the 7" nav stereo and mini amp.

All the panels are in their final place

The aftermarket carpet kit I bought was a bit dissappointing. Not a great fit, and the alignment of the foot pad under the pedals was horrible. No way to get it parallel, glad its covered with the floor mat.

One more floor issue in the rear cargo area. There's maybe 1/8" to 1/4" length difference from one side to the other. And, if I pull the rear cargo carpet up to meet the edge of the tub under the rear seat, there's 1/2" gap in the rear of exposed floor.

Topic author
jstev4610

Post by jstev4610 »

Question for everyone, these holes are at the rear of the cargo area where the tailgate meets the floor. What kind of trim strip was mounted here originally? Or were these done by a previous owner? I think I'm going to do a trim piece of walnut, but curious.

Topic author
jstev4610

Post by jstev4610 »

Texasagg wrote:Subscribed. Looks incredible. Can't wait to see your dash!
We couldn't figure anything out for an aftermarket option, so I ended up getting a second take-off dash just in case the one I have got hosed. Going to attempt to glue down the vent areas, held by weights, then drill through a couple bolts with flush washers on the top to keep it down. The diamond quilting will all be on top, hiding everything.

By the way, my wife is an ex-aggie swimmer. Unfortunately for her, she married a Husker.

ShawnQ

Post by ShawnQ »

Great looking wahon! Love the interior work.

The dash could be easily made with fiberglass. I'm surprised no one makes one yet.

Let us know how the engine turns out! I'm debating now between a 5.3/6.0 swap or a new AMC 5.9....seems if being original isn't an issue, then an LS swap may be the best bang for my buck.

Keep it going!

Shawn
1988 Grand Wagoneer, , 6" on 33x12.5 BFG M/Ts & Mickey Thompson Classic wheels
Currently undergoing a 5.3/6L80E/NP241C swap!
You can view my Build/Work In Progress thread by clicking HERE!

NOLA88Wagoneer

Post by NOLA88Wagoneer »

I have to know how you did those interior panels. I'm hitting that stage this weekend and had somewhat resigned myself to just going back with the originals, just cleaned up. I don't typically like a far departure from stock but yours are gorgeous. Help and info. By the way I saw your Griz poster in one photo. I'm an MSU alumn. GO BOBCATS!!!

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

I'm also very, very interested in those door interior panels. Where did you get the black criss-cross stitched material? It looks like it has some cushion to it. I love it!
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
jstev4610

Post by jstev4610 »

For the panels, we first tore apart the stock ones to the backing boards. The chrome strips were removed, cleaned up, and new marine teak vinyl was applied. I purchased several yards of vinyl that was was color matched to the seat leather, and that is what you see on the panels. It was backed (spray adhesive) with an open cell foam, then hand stitched in a diamond quilt pattern. I gave Steve a general idea of how I wanted the panels laid out, and he did a wonderful job of making it happen. The materials next to the overhead console that is stitched and foamed is some extra after cutting.

And a note about those panel backings, I had bought a replacement set from someone, team grand wagoneer or bj's, I can't remember. The cardboard is really thick, twice as thick as the stock set, making fitment tough, plus the pattern they are cut in is not the exact same. We ended up scrapping the replacements and reused each of the original panels. On the cargo area sides, the previous owner had done his own custom look wood boards, so I had to go buy some 1/8" 4'x4' sheets white writing surfaced project board (mdf) and cut my own.
Last edited by jstev4610 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
jstev4610

Post by jstev4610 »

The only pieces left inside the jeep with the original vinyl are the window and lock switch panels. They have the up/down marking, so wanted to keep that since I couldn't duplicate it, plus they were all in really good condition.

Topic author
jstev4610

Post by jstev4610 »

So, just a thought. If anyone wants something custom done to their panels, I can hook you up with Steve. He's as detail oriented as I am about his work (I do statistical analysis and modeling). Surely shipping wouldn't be too much, all he would need is either your originals or we could source some stock backing from Montana Overland. And I'm pretty sure he would deal with a Bobcat.

Aeol

Post by Aeol »

Depending on how it goes locally on my door panels for my J, I may take you up on that. My budget is tight though, and evolving.
I know nothing about Jeeps other than I love'em.
Jeep information level
[||--------]
J3A452WN - 1973 V8-360 J-4500 Townside Automatic

letank

Post by letank »

jstev4610 wrote:Question for everyone, these holes are at the rear of the cargo area where the tailgate meets the floor. What kind of trim strip was mounted here originally? Or were these done by a previous owner? I think I'm going to do a trim piece of walnut, but curious.
Impressive resto, as for the cargo area, there is a metal trim piece, which most of us do not have.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

NOLA88Wagoneer

Post by NOLA88Wagoneer »

Yeah if you could shoot me his info. I sent your pics to a local shop here to see if they could do it but your guy is a known quantity. My email is rachel@code3supplynola.com. Thanks in advance!

NOLA88Wagoneer

Post by NOLA88Wagoneer »

For that metal trim strip on the back. I have not been able to find one either and mine is gone. I'm playing around with some flat ribbed rubber for gaskets or trim. I think I am going to try to apply that in lieu of that trim strip since it could be replaced down the road if it starts to dry out and should cover that gap pretty well. I am also wrapping the wood grain vinyl on top of the tailgate covering the top portion where there is exposed metal, much like the doors.