1991 Grand Wagoneer restore/modify - Missoula MT

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

TUDrewser

Re: 1991 Grand Wagoneer restore/modify - Missoula MT

Post by TUDrewser »

Our minivan has like 20 cupholders...I'm totally spoiled. Went through the drive through yesterday in the GW and was cursing no cupholder. That will be a definite priority...
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.

Topic author
jstev4610

Post by jstev4610 »

Getting closer, off to have it all wired up and the electrical bleed figured out this week. I'm refinishing the woodwork, my sanding sucked. Glad I had just put on an oil coat.

TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

You don't by chance have drawings or measurements for that center console, do you?

Sent from Tapatalk

Topic author
jstev4610

Post by jstev4610 »

I don't, and not sure yours would be the same. I did some custom cutting along the bottom, it's not straight, to allow for the carpet overlap, and extra buildup from the jute and sound deadener. Plus I mitered the bottom so it fit more snug to the sounded tunnel.

This is what I started with, but made significant changes to the dimensions after cutting out the initial piece. I lengthened it by around 6", and I think it's perhaps 4" taller in the center?

http://s112.photobucket.com/user/pixelh ... t=3&page=2

I had this one bookmarked too, as an idea. But decided against a multi tiered console.

http://s220.photobucket.com/user/Showng ... 8.jpg.html

TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Eh, no worries. I'll figure it out :)

Edit: your to link was a good look, thanks! Bottom link didn't work for me, but I think I have an idea to start from...

Sent from Tapatalk

KnoxvilleWag

Post by KnoxvilleWag »

Any updates jstev?
1989 Grand Wagoneer, Mostly stock, rebuilt 360 (now 300 hp). The work continues... Knoxville, TN.
I've always loved these things! What have I done?
http://www.chadsparks.net/2013/02/a-wagoneer.html

Topic author
jstev4610

Post by jstev4610 »

All finished on the inside, sorry I haven't put up pics. Been trouble shooting some small things. The vacuum switch leaked so I replaced it with a BJ's unit. The interior lights were put on a separate fuse with a switch. Drove it to go snowboarding and it flooded on the highway going uphill, had it tuned and now runs great although I really, really, really want to pull the engine through transfer case and replace with a chevy connect and cruise ls3. I'll get pics up tonight.

chevelleguy

Post by chevelleguy »

You should put some side and rear vents in the center console for your heater. Doesn't that thing block all your heater output? I would also run a duct for the a/c for the rear seat passengers.

Beautiful job!
David
'83 Wag Limited, 360/727/pinned 229/D44 front/AMC20,lockrite,rear/6" BJ lift w/ 35/12.50/15 M/T Baja MTZ/ Pro-Jection EFI.

'16 Camaro SS
'98 STX1100 Jet ski
'96 ZXi 1100 Jet ski
'90 KDX 200

Topic author
jstev4610

Post by jstev4610 »

chevelleguy wrote:You should put some side and rear vents in the center console for your heater. Doesn't that thing block all your heater output? I would also run a duct for the a/c for the rear seat passengers.

Beautiful job!
It hasn't been an issue, the width really doesn't cut into the vent area.

Topic author
jstev4610

Post by jstev4610 »

The inside of the center console. Not too fancy, ran a usb charging plug to the inside off what was the cigarette lighter, plus the pioneer usb extension. I didn't get a pic of the bottom of the lid, but it's a piece of walnut that fits into the top to hold it secure.

Here's the back of the center console. We put as strap on the lid, seemed the simplest. I have the lumbar pumps hanging out the back of the seats too, I need to tuck them under.

I ran the seat warmer switched into the front of the console.

Here's the finished woodwork. I made the walnut look a bit more "used", the original was too glossy. Lower left, you see where I ran the bluetooth microphone, and the new BJ's vacuum switch for 2/4wd. The Grand Wagoneer emblem hides the mounting screws. I still have to pick out something for the top piece to hide the two screws, I put wood filler in them for now. Also notice, I have not added the driver side vent. Not sure if I'm going too. The switch for the interior lights was placed un the bottom of the sheet metal where the vent would mount on the left side, and I'd need to relocate it, which isn't much of an issue. But I kind of like the leg room as is in there.

Steering column, temporary wheel, guages.

Here's the entirety of the front seating area. No cupholders. Probably not changing that, I can't bring myself to cut into the walnut.

Drivers door panel, and a look at the dash wrap on the corner.

Rear seating

Overhead console, wired up and working. I also put in a new rear view mirror with auto-dim and a homelink button. We kept the infrared receiver in just because. Removed the middle section with the drop down sunglass holders.

Back panel, ignore the dog hiking equipment. Put the remote 12v plug in the bottom left.

Tailgate panel.

Steve built a cover for the tailgate, to avoid having the dogs destroy his work. Snaps are screwed in to where the original plastic lip was.

Rear view

Last edited by jstev4610 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
jstev4610

Post by jstev4610 »

I also added hydroboost, the engine rebuilt changed the vacuum, or at least that's what I'm thinking. The brakes were unsafe at best, not a consistent grab, if at all. When the hydroboost was put on, I also replaced the steering box with a reman unit from Oreilley's. HUGE steering change, much tighter. The brakes are better, they're consistent at least, and there's more grab. I'll probably not do a full disk conversion. At least that's what I'm telling myself right now.

bwwhaler

Post by bwwhaler »

:shock: All I can say is WOW! :shock: :-bd
1987 GW 360/727/229 Performer intake Holley 670 32's 4" BJ's Springs CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

Topic author
jstev4610

Post by jstev4610 »

Also add to the list, the headlight output was poor. I picked up a new wiring harness from one of the homegrown ifsja vendors and put it in, along with hella e-code headlights from BJ's. Major difference, a must do.

KnoxvilleWag

Post by KnoxvilleWag »

Wow...That really looks great. What's next?
1989 Grand Wagoneer, Mostly stock, rebuilt 360 (now 300 hp). The work continues... Knoxville, TN.
I've always loved these things! What have I done?
http://www.chadsparks.net/2013/02/a-wagoneer.html

Topic author
jstev4610

Post by jstev4610 »

KnoxvilleWag wrote:Wow...That really looks great. What's next?
Well, my next project is a '72 volvo p-1800. I pulled the engine and transmission, Phil Singher is doing major work on the b20 that was in it, going for a n/a 180hp with dual weber carbs. Sticking with the m41 4spd with overdrive after a rebuild. This one has a lot of body work to do, none of which I am touching myself. I have it pulled apart to just the body, a shop is going to dustless blast it but the temps are too cold to do it now.

The amc360 727 combo just is not the daily driver I want it to be as far as gas mileage, gearing, power. I was hoping I would get more power out of the rebuild but it's just not there, the transmission was great as is and 4wd was working fine so left it untouched. I think once the body work and paint is done on the volvo I'm going to let it sit in my shop with the engine on a stand until I get the wagoneer sorted with a new drivetrain. I'll probably be posting up several questions about doing a swap soon, like integrating ac, new transfer case hookup, etc...

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Ha ha, I have a customer that is having me re-assemble his 1960 Volvo 544. He has the same engine with a single Webber estimated at 200 HP. Quite an interesting little car... :D
Last edited by jaber on Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
jstev4610

Post by jstev4610 »

So yesterday, first there was this and there was a lot of happy face.

and then there was this and the frowny face appeared. Fortunately I can work in the broken piece and play with it to get the cylinder to turn and start.

jett1

Post by jett1 »

Your project inspires me to keep my 89 GW.
1989 Grand Waggoneer - Current state needing TLC.

tgdoumit

Post by tgdoumit »

I have no interior in my wagoneer. Gonna bump this up for a better look (not on my phone). Great work! My plans are along the same lines with some differences.
Tim :)
84 grand Wagoneer
97 TJ
92 XJ