Panel delivery resto-mod wag canceled in lieu of 78 Cherokee NT.

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
66stepside

Re: Panel delivery resto-mod wagoneer build

Post by 66stepside »

So, I pulled out my favorite brew, because it's now beer:30. I've been sanding, welding, grinding, painting and putting stuff back on the shelves... Thinking about everything I have to do on each of my projects.

I hung up more stuff on my one finished wall. It got me thinking...

Sam Adams is a great beer. Named after a great patriot. The beer is brewed in Boston. I gotta say, I am so thankful that America has weathered as many storms as she has and always comes out on top becuase we have our freedoms due to patriots past, and patriots present. A patriot is someone who still believes in the American Dream and works toward that dream without hurting others in the process.

No, I am not drunk. I haven't even cracked a cold one open. I am just proud to be an American. Now, I think I'll have that beer.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

This showed up at the wrecking yard...

localfiend

Post by localfiend »

Dang, is it still there? There's a bunch of stuff I want out of that. Steering wheel, Gauge cluster, arm rests....
2001 Jeep Wrangler
4.0 I6
AW4 Trans Swap
4.88 Gears
35x12.5x15" BFG AT KO's

1966 Jeep Gladiator
Chevy 350
T90
Dana 20
Dana 44's Front & Rear
Soon to have a HD44, 14 Bolt, SM465, NP205

Build: http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 698#p22698

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

localfiend wrote:Dang, is it still there? There's a bunch of stuff I want out of that. Steering wheel, Gauge cluster, arm rests....

Yep, it's mostly still there. I'll pull the parts you want and get them to you for cost. ;)

I'll ship them to you if you want, or you can cruise on over to the house next time you're in town and pick them up; either way, it's all good.

If you can think of anything else you want/need just call, text, or post it here.

Did you get the step-side bed on your truck yet?!?

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Thanks for posting those pics. I've never, ever seen a 2 door Wag in person.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

This was my first, too. It took my a few minutes to realize what it really was and it had to sink in.

What's weird is that it appears to be welded on the "fourth" doors on the outside, but factory doorless on the inside. Pretty weird, pretty cool.
Last edited by 66stepside on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Thanks for the pics.

It is neat to see that they did use the Willys seats in the early ones. I dont remember ever seeing one pictured, they always seem to have the bench. :-bd
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I've only seen it one other time- that Minnesota (?) jeep on CL forever. It was a pain to get the bench seat out. The jeep stunk pretty bad. I think the book Animal Farm may have been based upon the inside of the jeep. Lol.

Hey, Localfiend I have your parts (yeah we talked about it already). They're safe and sound- when you're ready, just let me know. :-bd

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Well, scored these today at the wrecking yard. They were on a 77 wagoneer. I have a front bumper just like these already, but I needed a matching rear for the panel. Got one! I pulled the front to put on my truck. The bumper on that one took a hit on the front hoop and I couldn't get it to look right, so I chopped off the hoop... May as well go back to a stockish look, eh?

The panel is ready for her first coat of epoxy primer and block sanding primer!

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Here's part 2:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=AIpw9gu1f0M

My next video will be a steering column mod.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I almost forgot... When I pulled the jeeps out to arrange space for the 62, I took a pic of the dash in the panel under the sunlight, eventhough it's dusty as all get out, it does look pretty good for a paint rookie.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Well, I thought I had the drivers side front seat all dialed in, but I guess not. So I did that today... Along with lining it with a roll on bed liner.

Using some left over metal from fabbin' up a reciever hitch from the Jeepster tribute build, I figured out where I wanted the front of the seats to be:

Then I cut the spacer in half with the metal chop saw:

Boy, did it get hot! While it cooled off on the rocks, I took measurements for grins...

To de-burr the inner edges, out comes my favorite air tool...

To de- burr the outer edges, I used the angle grinder...

Yeah, I keep the wheels until they can literally no longer be used. This is actually helpful when I use the cut off wheel because on smaller cuts you need a smaller blade.

While the that metal was cooling, I set about finally lining the driver's side with a roll on be liner...
Before:

Ugly, but solid...
After:

So the next step to to drill out the spacers on the drill press and drill holes into the floor boards. I am not reusing the stock holes from the factory.

Edit:

While it's getting a bit hot outside, I took it inside to wrap up the carpet on the center console...

I cut out the pattern based on the original, but longer for a unique look... Shaved 1/4" of the edges, old vs. new...

New clips to replace ones that were missing...

Slathered contact cement, note the shaved backside, too...

Slathered the console...

Lined it all up, and I also cut small holes in the carpet for a few of the clips to slide thru to help the carpet stay in place...

So when I finalize the driver's side seat, the console will be ready to install.

Edit:

Drilled the holes for the front mounting brackets with the drill press, then painted them semigloss black. Then went bike riding with the family.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

I keep a bucket of water close for cooling fresh cut parts. I'm impatient and dont like to wait for them to cool... ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I've got more time than money and more time than sense, too! Lol.

I've used the ol bucket of water cool down method when I break out the torch set up, but not with the chop saw, or the drill press for some reason.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

The driver's side seat is in...

I marked where the holes needed to be drilled in the floor with white paint and a tiny paint brush...

Drilled the holes, put down some insulation...

Laid down the mini van carpet...

I ran nails through the carpet where each spot of the seat would bolt up so I wouldn't mess anything up too bad...

Then I cut around the head of the nail with a box cutting knife with a new blade...

Putting the gas pedal back was fun. I also used nails to guide where I was going to cut the carpet out...

Installed, but not finalized.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Aside from the metal "School" sign (I have an older version in wood, so naturally I had to get this one, it was only 5.00), I also found two things for the panel at the swap meet, side view mirrors and a set of factory beauty rings. I saw these last year, but did not snag them, so he still had them... Now I have them. They are missing the retaining clips.

I wonder how the rings would look on the F/S project?

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

So on to the passenger side...

Insulation...

Carpet with nails to guide...

Center console and 4wd shifter cover mocked up...

Arm rest in it's first stage of paint... Mostly done, ran out of time...

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

i am looking for the super wagoneer / 1414X / Custom Delux chrome 4wd shifter knob... So if you have one and want to sell it, PM me... Thanks, in advance!

So, in-between avoiding the heat, having my neice's sweet 16 at our place (she's the one who helped me with the "sidewinder winch hauling two jeeps" video), and having some summer fun, I decided to take a regular shifter knob and paint it to match the interior... 2 stage orange... No clear coat on it until I hand paint the shifter patterns back on it. It'll work until a super/1414x knob shows up, or it'll work forever.

Silver metallic base...

1st coat of candied orange...

At least 4 coats later...

In the sun you can see the raised lettering/numbering for the shift pattern...

Next comes relettering, then multiple clear coats.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

While my wife took the kiddos to my least favorite weekend haunts (Costco), I made some headway on the panel. I cleaned up the inside of the driver's side door, coated the inside with two coats of black paint, then ran some insulation.

I also swapped out the door latch and window regulator to the newer Allen Wrench style as the origional ones were stripped out badly.

Which one came from AZ, and which one from WA?

I cleaned it up, painted it semi-gloss and re-greased/lubed all the moving parts.

While the black paint dried, I got on the door. It was in far better condition than the one's off the 65 truck, so it was easier to swap out the guts. I had to do the same thing on my 66 years ago.

Painted black. That was fun.

Insulation:

"Guts is swapped" (doner parts came from a set of doors from 68Gladiator off IfSJA after he traded in jeepin' for turbo'd BMWs).

I have a nicer set of handles, though. They'll go on after I paint the upper part of the door and put the door panels on.