Is it usually such a PITA to fill an FSJ up?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Is it usually such a PITA to fill an FSJ up?

Post by Nikkormat »

While attempting my first FSJ fill up, I couldn't help but wonder if my difficulty was a typical experience. Gurgling, bubbling, back flow... Christ I must have lost two gallons to spillage. Is this experience typical? I had to reset the pump every 30 seconds or so. it took five minutes to get 13 gallons! What would be causing this? Plugged vent line? Gremlins? :evil: There is also a strong gas smell inside the cab after filling up... 1974 Cherokee 401, if that helps...

Thanks, in advance.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Bricker

Re: Is it usually such a PITA to fill an FSJ up?

Post by Bricker »

My 1977 is the same way. My friend, CheapJeepBrad, said it is a common prob. amongst the pre-79's IIRC. It does have to do the the vent line. He recently grabbed me a gas fill tube neck from a 79 which has a little better vent configuration. I need to order some new rubber gas rated fuel, but hopefully that will do the trick.
1977 Cherokee Chief
1977 J10 Honcho

will e

Post by will e »

My 81 was weird, I had to hold the handle upside down. The 82 doesn't seem to mind getting fed at all.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

berettajeep

Post by berettajeep »

Same thing happened when I filled my '74 when I bought it. Only time I have put gas in it too since I bought it. :lol: I have dual tanks with a single filler neck, so it took forever and I still did not fill them up. I know I need to replace some fuel and vent lines, as some are disconnected/worn. There is also a roll over check valve back there. Maybe clogged or stuck?

I am curious too if there is a better fix then stock.

I've been slowly reworking the previous owners "fixes" and "repairs" and soon will be driving it again.

But since Oregon does not trust people to put their own fuel in their own vehicles, I won't have to be the one standing there fueling my Jeep. :lol: ( I bought the Jeep in Washington and fueled it up there)
'47 CJ2A My build
'74 Cherokee S 401/auto My build
'94 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed
'06 Liberty Renegade
'46 CJ2A

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

My '75 took ages to fill up, and I had to hold it at a strange angle. My J10 actually fuels up pretty decently though.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

When I first got my waggy it had dual tanks on 1 neck which gave me problems, but once I went down to 1 tank I didn't have problems
In the market for a new FSJ

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Alright, looks like I'm not the only one. I'll put her up on stands and check all the vent lines when I'm doing damage control on the rust front. Got any other advice/ideas?

Southern Gorilla

Post by Southern Gorilla »

Yup, I've had the same problem also. I haven't tried the upside-down nozzle trick on my Jeep, but it did work on my former employer's Mercedes which had the same problem. One caveat... apparently the auto shutoff valve on the nozzle doesn't always work when you hold the nozzle upside-down. So you can get fuel pouring back out the fill tube if you aren't paying attention.

I've also read somewhere that somebody changed out the vent line for a bigger diameter line to solve the problem. Obviously, that would require changing out the nipple on the tank for the full effect.

Isn't there a check/rollover valve on the vent line? If there is, that could be the problem as well.
Having seller's regret.

TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

It's because of that 401. You need to trade me for my 360 and it will fix everything.
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

I have to hold the pump handle with the bottom in the 9 o'clock position to get the fuel in and then I still have back flow and gushing if I try to add fuel too fast. '79 Wag. 360.
Let us not forget what our fathers taught us.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

TUDrewser wrote:It's because of that 401. You need to trade me for my 360 and it will fix everything.
Talk to me after I start commuting it 50 miles a day! :D

Haven't gone for another fill up yet, having some titling issues. PO didn't put the title in his name so the bill of sale and previous title are as good as a used Kleenex when it comes to the DMV lady. Hopefully the PO's-PO is willing to go to the DMV with us and get the title transferred to my name. :banghead:

Will put her up on stands tomorrow and check the rollover valve and other vent lines. There is a section of the fill neck that is uphill, and this is what I suspect causes the problem.

berettajeep

Post by berettajeep »

Nikkormat wrote:
TUDrewser wrote: Will put her up on stands tomorrow and check the rollover valve and other vent lines. There is a section of the fill neck that is uphill, and this is what I suspect causes the problem.

Remove the drivers side rear inner panel to access the filler and vent/ roll over valve.
'47 CJ2A My build
'74 Cherokee S 401/auto My build
'94 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed
'06 Liberty Renegade
'46 CJ2A

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Is the brown and tan canister the rollover valve? I was under the impression that was vapor recovery... What does the rollover valve look like?

Wagonator

Post by Wagonator »

The only problem I ever get is the sting in my wallet when I'm done filling her up. Other than that, I do get the fuel smell, but it goes away after a while.
1980 Wagoneer rolling chassis

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

I thought I was the only one. My '72 did fine. My 84 was a pita and my 77 is a pita too. Finally figured out how to fill the '77 at a reasonable speed.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

VOX

Post by VOX »

my 75 chero chief takes all the gas I can give it as fast as I can give it. it has no issues with gas, it likes gas just fine. ;)
Keith

1980 Wagoneer
1973 J10
1975 Cherokee Chief

MarkPribanic

Post by MarkPribanic »

Same issue for me on my '73 CW. I usually fill super slow and have the handle titled to the 8 O'clock position.
1958 Porsche 356
1958 VW Panel Bus
1960 Ghia Vert
1973 Wagoneer FTQT Newb.

Instagram: MarkPribanic
FaceSpace: Mark Pribanic

FSJunkie

Post by FSJunkie »

I only have problems if the pumps use those darned vapor recovery nozzles. California loves those.

Otherwise the oly pumos work fine so long as I get the nozzle angled in right.

Check your filler vent. The tank has several hoses on it, including the main filler, filler vent, and vapor vents. The filler vent is a 3/4" line that vents internal pressure from the top of the tank into the filler neck where you pu the nozzle in. Gasoline will not flow into the tank smoothly if that vent is blocked or restricted.
1972 Wagoneer: 360 2V, THM-400, D20, D30 closed knuckle, D44 Trac-lok 3.31.
1965 Rambler Ambassador: 327 4V, BW M-10 auto, AMC 20 3.15.
1973 AMC Ambassador: 360 4V, TC-727.
1966 AMC Marlin 327 4V, T-10 4 speed, AMC 20 Powr-lok 3.54.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

The problem isn't as significant any more but ists still there. Added some Sta-Bil and it solved a lot of problems. I think that it helped clean up all the old nylon hard lines which I suspected were causing the problems. Also disconecting them at there point of termination and blowing until I can hear bubbling or it becomes easier. Also not holding the pump handle at full open.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Various years are more troublesome than others for filling and splashing back, mainly 76-79 in my experience.

Vents... You should be checking out why you have fumes in the cab. Start by pulling the left panel off the wall in the cargo area. The vent and fill lines go through there. I forget if 74 is like this but some years have a metal and rubber vent line that goes over left wheel well and out the bottom to the top of the tank (definitely on the 76 and 77 models). That one is famous for problems with rotten rubber lines.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac