Rear driver door exterior button sticking?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
jpngriff

Rear driver door exterior button sticking?

Post by jpngriff »

I have a 1991 GW that the back passenger door button has been giving me fits. In the least convenient times when opening the door form the outside the button will fully depress and get stuck inside the door handle.

Once the button is stuck the only way to get it out is to pull the door panel off and pull back on the lever inside the door that the button is pressing. When you look at it inside the door, the button pin on the back side is slipping above the lever inside the door.

Any ideas? Once this happens you can essentially yank the door open by pulling on it. Not to mention it's very hard to close at all. I'm pretty much assuming one of these times I'm driving it with the button stuck the door will fly open going over a large bump.

Any parts I can swap to make this stop happening?
1991 Grand Wagoneer
360 V8, TBI Conversion

Topic author
jpngriff

Re: Rear driver door exterior button sticking?

Post by jpngriff »

And the picture...

1991 Grand Wagoneer
360 V8, TBI Conversion

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Thump the top of the handle to get it out but the pin inside is probably bent and in need of lubing too.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

My truck handles do this. When they stick, I either use my finger tips to pry the bottom of the button out, usually works, or "pop" the door just under the handle and it pops.

The rod on the inside of the handle has a plastic sleeve that guides it and have found that if its missing, they like to hang.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
jpngriff

Post by jpngriff »

carnuck wrote:Thump the top of the handle to get it out but the pin inside is probably bent and in need of lubing too.
Which part would you lube? I don't want to get any oil on the back of the pin as it already slips up the flat metal lever piece it presses against inside the door. When it is working it works great. I try not to press to hard when I'm thinking about it and opening the door. Every time I'm in a hurry and forget to gingerly open the door is when it depresses all the way.
jaber wrote:My truck handles do this. When they stick, I either use my finger tips to pry the bottom of the button out, usually works, or "pop" the door just under the handle and it pops.

The rod on the inside of the handle has a plastic sleeve that guides it and have found that if its missing, they like to hang.
Has anyone ever seen this sleeve part? I'm guessing the guy I bought it from may have lost it during the last repaint. I don't see anything on BJ's or TGW that sounds like it might be this part. Is there a picture of it? A quick Google image search shows nothing.
1991 Grand Wagoneer
360 V8, TBI Conversion

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

I can try to get you pics, just dont know how soon I can, might not be until tomorrow. I have not seen them advertised for sale, you might just have to find something the same size to use as a bushing. ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/