Small lift, big flex?

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Josh d

Re: Small lift, big flex?

Post by Josh d »

I thought the Rusty's 4" with no trac bars or sway bar rode pretty good. I really liked it.
'71 J2000
'95 YJ
'80 911

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

4" spring lift has lots of options (brands?)
BJs does springs or a full kit, BDS, Skyjacker. Hell Creek too maybe? Not sure if they are the same as BDS...

Rough Country does 3" all springs, which is what I put on my Cherokee. They are stiff but flex in nicely. Still stiffer than wag springs though. I chose this options for 2 reasons. 1) inexpensive. 2) only need 3" for 33s on a wide track. I think you really only need 2ish" but 3" definitely does it.
BJs also has a 2" all spring kit. If you go with RC, get better shocks. They make a difference. Springs are somewhat stiff but I don't think they are as bad as some will say. But I also ran completely flat springs and worn out shocks for a year so what do I know about comfort?

With the 2" or 3" you don't need a drop pitman. You should use shims for the 3" to not completely wreck your steering up front and drive angle at the rear. I love the look of a 4" on GW or narrow track rigs, especially with pizza cutter tires. I think it gives a more classic 4x4 look.

Good luck!
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

^Just to be sure, you're saying I need axle shims for 3" or more of lift?
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

I know you need them for 3" or more...I don't think you do for 2" or so, but I've no experience with any other lifts. Usually if you get a kit they will come with appropriate shims. Just be aware that the more you lift, the more the driveline angles are changed, the more shimming you need to lessen these. The down side is that if you shim too much, you change the caster (i think) angle up front so that steering becomes effected. There is a certain point that makes the wheels non self-centering. ie, when you let go of the steering wheel the front wheels stay where they are pointed or worse try to turn left or right. Folks with bigger lifts would know a lot more about that than I do. I know I had to use shims with my lift, but they came with the lift. I want to say it was 1.8 degrees or something like that.

Edit: Reading back further in the thread helps me not repeat things?
I, too, had a long debate with myself over lift height. It seems like your goals are similar to mine. Capable off-road, but not a crawler or trail destroyer. With an '89 and presumably stock axle gearing you might want to stick to 31's without regearing. 4" would clear that size tire I'm pretty sure. I know they would clear 30s or equivalent. 3" would clear 30s as well, but as I said the Rough Country springs are, well, rough. Truck-like ride. It's fine for me but if you like a comfier ride I'd look to BDS or BJs lift. Skyjacker makes a great flexy spring (neighbor has skyjacker on his XJ) but they are a little pricey for me.
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Many moons ago, my best friends dad lifted his 68 waggie. He stuffed the stock springs in storage and forgot they were there. Today, I found them wrapped in cellophane. As they were destined for the scrap metal pile, I asked if I could have them. He said yes, so, I now have un sagged springs for the cost of cleaning a shed! Best part is, there practically new! So I'm going to install this kit from Rusty's for my lift. I know it will be rougher but I carry enough tools and spares to account for the extra weight, I always found the ride a bit soft anyway... http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-suspe ... t-kit.html

The kit is listed for 76 and up but I have confirmed with a fellow 74 cherokee owner that this is the lift he used. He simply trimmed a few inches from one end of the rear leafs. So now I can lift my rig for $250! As our favorite Kazakhstanian reporter would say... Image

EDIT: Shipping is expensive, make that $300 :banghead:
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Post by 243 »

Stuka wrote:You will hate the add-a-leafs ride. They are stiffer than lift springs in most cases.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

As a broke ass college kid back in 83, I cranked the torsion bars and installed AAL's in the rear of my 79 2WD Toyota SR5, bought a take off set of chrome wheels and AT tires from Toyota, probably 30's or 31's and it looked good. But I could drive over speed bumps and the rear tires would get air.
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

243 wrote:
Stuka wrote:You will hate the add-a-leafs ride. They are stiffer than lift springs in most cases.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

As a broke ass college kid back in 83, I cranked the torsion bars and installed AAL's in the rear of my 79 2WD Toyota SR5, bought a take off set of chrome wheels and AT tires from Toyota, probably 30's or 31's and it looked good. But I could drive over speed bumps and the rear tires would get air.
Yeah when younger and with a lot less money, you can get by with whatever works. My back was more forgiving back then though :P
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Post by 243 »

It was an unforgettable experience...never again.
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

After the bushings were pressed in, the springs went on easy pressed in the bushings in a half an hour and installed in two. The ride now is just about right, not to stiff and not too soft. None to mention it brought me up almost two inches! I didn't realize how much rake I had before, but side by side with the local parking lot wag I'm still raked about an inch rearward loaded. So level by sane people's standards, but I know I'll never not have all that weight back there. So I might be able to get away with just a one inch rear block. For now anyway. I can scout out more heights in ouray!

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

^Hey Nikkormat:

Post up some pictures, if you get a chance.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

I think I can this weekend... At the very least I'll take some measurements.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Hey Nikkormat:

Did you ever get a chance to snap a couple of pictures of you rig on the fresh stock springs?

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Oh crap sorry I forgot. I'll do that now.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

OK I don't have many good pics with the new springs, I've been chasing down some vapor lock. ALWAYS use a gasket between the fuel pump and timing cover! :banghead:

Keep in mind I'm running around with a ton (not literally) of tools, parts and fluids. Image

It's running a short set of 285-75-15's on stock late waggy rims. The tires are spec'd by Kumho at 28.2 inches.
Image Image Image

I think I would like to go taller. But I think I'll wait until I've seen a few in person and crawled around em a little. I will be going to a 30x9.5x15 here shortly.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

^Thanks man. That looks good. I'll have to swing up your way some time and see it in person. Which 30x9.5s are you going with?

GWag87

Post by GWag87 »

I have a 4" lift on my Wag. I went with springs all around. I really like the stance, almost perfect for me. I am still running the stock tires but plan to put on 31s pretty soon. It has done everything I need it to do. I am in the same state of mind, mild wheelen in the weekend camping/fishing/DD rig.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

I haven't decide on a tire yet. Whats your thinking on the lift now?

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

I think I'm going to go 2 or 2.5" of lift on Alcans. If I want more lift later (inch or less) I can extend my shackles. But, I think I'm going to be ok with a couple inches of lift as this will be more the family minivan than a crawler. I'll use my Tacoma for more serious trails.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Cool can't wait to see how it turns out. I think I'm going with cooper AT3 tires in a 30