Fueling/Fuel Tanks

For everything related to converting and up keeping diesel engines in an FSJ

Topic author
jtwthaxj

Fueling/Fuel Tanks

Post by jtwthaxj »

I apologize if this has been touched on a million times before, but I am still trying to convert everything I know about gasoline engines to diesel. I know I will need to relocate my fuel tank to make room for the new drivetrain components, and also help to compensate for the weight of the 6bt. I have been looking at various vehicles with rear mounted tanks, I think I prefer the Cherokee (XJ) tank 20 gallon plastic, or the full size bronco 32 gallons metal, thoughts pros/cons of either? Also the pump for both tanks are internal, what is everyone doing to get fuel to the lift pump or is that enough on its on?

Pablo

Re: Fueling/Fuel Tanks

Post by Pablo »

I have been looking into this and am leaning towards a custom tank, mainly because I want around 50 gallons and I don't want it to hang down below the frame. I think my only choice is going to be custom.

I have read about the 42 gallon Suburban swap (hangs out) and the S-10 tank swap in the spare tire location. I have not seen any pictures from the XJ swap. I have also heard of the Bronco swap, but not seen pictures of how much it hangs.

I have also read that someone on the other site measured out the spare tire area and calculated 32 gallons of fuel could be put there with a custom tank without it hanging down. That is pushing me more towards a custom tank that uses that space and recovers some of the original tanks space.

I also saw a pretty good looking Ford 150 auxillary tank swap that went into the spare tire area and fit cleanly between the frame rails. It was only 19 gallons though.

For safety sake, I am planning on putting a lift pump in the tank. The stock setup on the bread van did not have one, but that tank was close to the engine and not on the other side of the vehicle and below the motor. I am going to try and go with a stock Cummins Dodge lift pump. I want one that does not restrict flow if the pump fails (fail safe), as most pumps fail closed and that is very hard on the main fuel pump. I know that I was able to swap a Dodge Cummins lift pump into a KJ (Liberty) tank back when I owned a CRD. Not sure if that tank would fit cleanly, but it might if the XJ tank fits. It is plastic and about the capacity of the XJ tank (gallon or two more).
  • 64 FSJ Wagoneer, under the knife
  • 67 FSJ Wagoneer, peacefully taking a break
  • 94 XJ, long-armed on 33's. Bolt on ghetto fab fantastic
  • 16 BU, wife's snow commuter
Formerly: 06 KJ CRD (Constantly Repair Diesel)

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Another thing I am not totally clear on is the result of moving the axle 5 inches to the rear for the Chevy spring swap. I do want the rear axle to move back more. That will probably change the areas available for a fuel tank as well. I am going to get everything where I want it in regards to the springs and axle, and then get a fuel tank that works with the space left.

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Also check out this thread on 4bt swaps

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthrea ... doge-parts

Used this tank made for a IH. Large capacity, but not cheap though:

http://www.shopih.com/NWMP-SII-FLTNK-33.html