Shackle reverse for FSJ

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Nikkormat

Re: Shackle reverse for FSJ

Post by Nikkormat »

Flint's setup is interesting. The angle of the springs allows for spoa without the need for high steer. I would wager that the angle if the springs contributes to the lack of driveshaft problems. Less front to back more up and down. Very cool. That is the stock Wagoneer axle with new spring perches right? I'd also be interested to know whether or not those shackles are stock. They look stock to me but they could be shorter. I think I'll have to copy that setup.

Any ideas on how much lift that nets Flint?
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Nikkormat wrote:Flint's setup is interesting. The angle of the springs allows for spoa without the need for high steer. I would wager that the angle if the springs contributes to the lack of driveshaft problems. Less front to back more up and down. Very cool. That is the stock Wagoneer axle with new spring perches right? I'd also be interested to know whether or not those shackles are stock. They look stock to me but they could be shorter. I think I'll have to copy that setup.

Any ideas on how much lift that nets Flint?
The angle of the spring actually means the axle travels backwards as it goes up. The spring is not flat, its at an angle with the rear being much lower than the front.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Nikkormat wrote:Pics are needed.
I drilled 2" holes in the frame and welded in the rough stuff shackles. Problem is that I welded them in with the bushings in there which melted the bushing which resulted in the welds being HORRIBLE. I need to remove the bushings, clean up the welds and install new bushing.

Also need the new front driveshaft.

Then pics.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Blake wrote:
Nikkormat wrote:Pics are needed.
I drilled 2" holes in the frame and welded in the rough stuff shackles. Problem is that I welded them in with the bushings in there which melted the bushing which resulted in the welds being HORRIBLE. I need to remove the bushings, clean up the welds and install new bushing.

Also need the new front driveshaft.

Then pics.
What, you afraid we will post the photos of your bugger welds all over the internet where they will remain for all eternity? :P
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

ya pretty much.

Topic author
AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Update:

I've been running the shackle reverse now for a while and I've ran several trails in Moab, some local stuff around here and I ran Carnage Canyon near Buena Vista.

I definitely like the shackle reverse. Much, MUCH smoother on the road/trail. It does have a little more nose dive when braking, but not a big deal. Flex is good, traction is good.

however - the Carnage trail lived up to it's name and I bent both (brand spanking new) rs44044 springs (for the umpteenth time). Bend them on the forward end this time, instead of the rear end. Bent right at the hard shackle mount up front.

%$@%#$!$

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

You need springs for Walton? I'm trying to see if it's logistically possible for me to come.

The way you were driving it in Moab it must have been riding smooth!

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Time for some military wrap springs.
2017 JKU Rubicon

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Stuka wrote:Time for some military wrap springs.
Im thinking Traction Bar..

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

rocklaurence wrote:
Stuka wrote:Time for some military wrap springs.
Im thinking Traction Bar..
If it bent because of axle wrap, definitely. If it bent from the hitting the tires into rocks and such, the military wrap will resist bending. Those 44044's have really thin main leafs.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

that carnage trail is stupid hard and I think I may have bent the springs while backing up. I really don't know. The trail is really short (maybe half a mile??) and my spotter noticed the bent springs about half way up. took several hours to go half a mile.

I'm going to the sand dunes for the next two weekends and I'm 99% sure that either the clutch or the engine is gonna go BOOM!! I'll make a decision on the direction of the build after that.

At this point in time, I'm thinking that the honcho is WAY too heavy for any kind of serious 'wheeling. The thought is crossing my mind to buy a tube chassis and transfer the axles/tranny/case/etc into a buggy and scrap the Honcho. I dunno, we will see.

But I do know one thing - coilovers are in my future, I just don't know when or what vehicle. The shackle reverse would work perfect for 99.9% of 'wheeling that other FSJ's do though.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Blake wrote: At this point in time, I'm thinking that the honcho is WAY too heavy for any kind of serious 'wheeling. The thought is crossing my mind to buy a tube chassis and transfer the axles/tranny/case/etc into a buggy and scrap the Honcho. I dunno, we will see.
That's why the Honcho is so cool. It doesn't give a BEEP, it'll tow your trailer. It'll pull out some dumbass kid on potato salad. It'll do burnouts on the baby lions back. It's got the beef!

If you want a buggy build it long, low, and gear it low. The atlas isn't going to hold up to the kind of power you want anyway. So run a planetary reduction in front of a beefed up 205 behind a 6l80 and a blown/nitrous/turbo'd/whatever LS7400 (so it can rev a little more than that 8100). And break some BEEP. Roll over, jump it, mangle a trussed 14 bolt. Have fun.

And then pull that broken junk off the trail and onto your gooseneck with the Honcho. :fsj:

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Carnage BV isn't that hard. I did it twice in a CJ with AT tires and a carb.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

Topic author
AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

csuengr wrote:Carnage BV isn't that hard. I did it twice in a CJ with AT tires and a carb.
hahahahahha :D

Ya, maybe a few years ago, yes, it could have been possible. I did it about 12 years ago in a CJ5 on full width axles and 35's.

Now. No way. Period. That trail is nasty man. Like really, really nasty. Sure, if you have a good winch you can pull cable through the whole thing.

j20brett

Post by j20brett »

I still don't understand how you are bending mains with a shackle reversal. Even while backing up. Are you like full throttle assault in reverse? Into a ledge? Nuts man. Ive got a pretty heavy foot and my fronts look great still. Anyways,

:worthless:
"Kaiser" - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

j20brett wrote:I still don't understand how you are bending mains with a shackle reversal. Even while backing up. Are you like full throttle assault in reverse? Into a ledge? Nuts man. Ive got a pretty heavy foot and my fronts look great still. Anyways,
You obviously haven't met Blake. LOL!!!
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

haha

no, I think those rs44044 springs are simply too soft and they bend too easily.

I had the honcho in either the 4:1 or 10:1 for the entire Carnage trail, which basically means no full throttle assault is possible.

j20brett

Post by j20brett »

Well, full throttle and 3 mph...HAHA!
"Kaiser" - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Ok so should I shackle reverse the 74? With the Rough country springs I've got that would give me 5 inches of lift up front.

How is it in corners? I drive like a hoodlem and I don't want to roll my Jeep.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Wow, its hard to believe that we've been talking about the FSSRs for all most 6 years but I have been paying attention. Im finishing up my Rock Ready Sliders now.
Last edited by rocklaurence on Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.