Locker?

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Topic author
Fireman91186

Locker?

Post by Fireman91186 »

Now that I am planning on getting my Cherokee back on the road I want to put in a rear locker. Of course this all depends on me passing smog of course.
I was thinking a lunch box locker because of the price. I do not drive it that much on the street and I wont be doing any crazy wheeling with it either. I want to to go where I want and a locker would help greatly.
What are you guys running? Any good or bad stories?
1979 Cherokee, 360 with T-18 Dana 20. 4" lift with 33's

Tad
Vendor

Re: Locker?

Post by Tad »

I've been welded out back since 2006.
It's cheap and awesome off-road.
Extra tire wear so I run a higher pressure on the street.
You get used to it pretty fast but I would not be happy on ice.
Wet slick parking lots are fun.
Does not bother me towing stuff but you learn a new wider style of turning.
Backing up with a trailer can be a PITA unless you are on dirt.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Topic author
Fireman91186

Post by Fireman91186 »

I thought about welding, but in the winter it is what we take to the snow so I am trying to stay away from that. I know that a lunch box locker will also have it's problems in the snow but I am hoping not as much.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Where do you live? (Should update your sig so we dont have to ask :) )

I have had detroit lockers in two of my FSJ's, and we get snow and ice here. You really have to be aware that the locker is there. And this goes for any automatic locker. Including lunch box lockers.

If you really want a locker, and you dont want your snow driving to be impeded, you need to go with a selectable locker. Such as an ARB, OX, or Eaton.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Fireman91186

Post by Fireman91186 »

I live here in central California but in the winter we like to go play in the snow a lot. I wish I could afford a selectable locker. I know that in the winter it will be tricky but I think I can get used to it. Especially considering the extra cost of a selectable locker.

Locked and Loaded

Post by Locked and Loaded »

Detroit Truetrac Limited slip. It would be great for the type of wheeling you want to do. And it's what you want in the snow.
Drink more Water

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Stuka wrote:Where do you live? (Should update your sig so we dont have to ask :) )

I have had detroit lockers in two of my FSJ's, and we get snow and ice here. You really have to be aware that the locker is there. And this goes for any automatic locker. Including lunch box lockers.

If you really want a locker, and you dont want your snow driving to be impeded, you need to go with a selectable locker. Such as an ARB, OX, or Eaton.
X2

I'm running a detroit in the rear of the honcho and it can get a little hairy on the hwy in ice.

I have stock electric lockers in the 'cruiser and that really is the best way to go.

I recently swapped a 14 bolt into the rear of my waggy and it came from the junkyard with an aftermarket eaton LSD. It seems to completely transparent on the road. Ask me in a couple of weeks after driving to/from ouray....

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Fireman91186 wrote:I live here in central California but in the winter we like to go play in the snow a lot. I wish I could afford a selectable locker. I know that in the winter it will be tricky but I think I can get used to it. Especially considering the extra cost of a selectable locker.
If its occasional snow driving, and you have decent tires (good AT), they are livable. More so if you have an automatic. Automatic lockers get more touchy with manuals.

If you do go with a lunch box locker. The Aussie and the Spartan are both pretty good lockers. I have installed several Aussies. Pretty easy to put in, and they are quieter and more durable than some other lunch box lockers.

If you ever head as far north as Sonora, hit me up.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
Fireman91186

Post by Fireman91186 »

I have a limited slip out back right now. It doesn't work all that good I think the clutches are out maybe.

What if I were to put the locker in the front and leave the limited slip in the rear?

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Fireman91186 wrote:I have a limited slip out back right now. It doesn't work all that good I think the clutches are out maybe.

What if I were to put the locker in the front and leave the limited slip in the rear?
Good idea :idea:

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Fireman91186 wrote:I have a limited slip out back right now. It doesn't work all that good I think the clutches are out maybe.

Fine if you don't need to use 4wd in the snow. Otherwise you cannot steer properly in the snow, specifically hard pack snow (like you see on the roads). Some people do the "only lock one hub" deal, but that will make it pull to one side. A rear locker is MUCH more livable in the snow than a front locker.
2017 JKU Rubicon

jamesdart

Post by jamesdart »

I went with the Yukon zip locker and really like it. Took me a year to justify buying it and I got a good deal on it. Some guys are saying the axle shafts don't hold up to well with an automatic locker or welded on the street on the semi floating 44.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

jamesdart wrote:I went with the Yukon zip locker and really like it. Took me a year to justify buying it and I got a good deal on it. Some guys are saying the axle shafts don't hold up to well with an automatic locker or welded on the street on the semi floating 44.
If you have a lot of weight in back on a regular basis, there is some truth to that. But its not because its semi float, its because the splines twist in most cases.
2017 JKU Rubicon

jamesdart

Post by jamesdart »

I thought I saw some that broke right at the flange

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

jamesdart wrote:I thought I saw some that broke right at the flange
I have seen some break there. But I am not sure if the locker was the cause, or if it was just a semi-float failure due to having a lot of weight on a semi-float axle. Most locker related breaks that I have personally seen have the splines twisted until the shaft broke right next to the locker.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Mr. Goatman

Post by Mr. Goatman »

jamesdart wrote:I went with the Yukon zip locker and really like it. Took me a year to justify buying it and I got a good deal on it. Some guys are saying the axle shafts don't hold up to well with an automatic locker or welded on the street on the semi floating 44.
So, Where is the good deal at?
87 GW SOA/SF on 33"
87 Diesel Goat- Project Isuzu 4BD1T, 47RH, NP205 Front and Rear D60 5" Lift and 285-75x16 St Maxx
88 GW "Blue"- Next project! 6.2 GM/ 700R4, NP 203, Banks kit

Kimbrough

Post by Kimbrough »

I'll throw my $.02 in for the Aussie locker. Easiest thing in the world to install and they work great.
1991 Grand Wagoneer Final Edition. Hunter Green. 4" Rusty's Lift. Chevy 350 TBI/TH350/NP241. 31" AT's.

El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

I live in Northern Utah and I have a welded 14 bolt. The first winter I was kind of scared of it slipping everywhere. But it was surprisingly stable and controllable. One thing about driving a rig with welded spiders is it will always act the same no matter what. With open or even an automatic locker sometimes it changes its mind which wheel to give power too.

I also have a trac-loc in the front axle. Works good in the front, but I don't think it would be really good for a rear axle. Not positive enough.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2