New guy..

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
kirk

New guy..

Post by kirk »

Hi, I'm Kirk. I tried to register at ifsja.org, but after a week without activation, I started reading around and I guess that board is folding and moving here, or? Eitherway, I registered here this morning and was happy to see my name/username available. Wasnt on the other board. Anyway, I was looking to join a fullsize jeep board, because I'm currently looking to buy a Wagoneer. I've always wanted one, and have owned numerous other jeeps (Xj's, CJs, TJs) but this will be my first full size. I'm fairly familiar with forums, so I plan to spend my morning coffee time reading here (working! I mean I'll be working!) but if there are any threads you think a new guy like me should look at before making his first purchase, I would really appreciate it. I promise to not ask stupid noob questions w/o searching first, if you promise to go lightly when I still ask stupid noob questions.

Basically I'm looking for what years are desirable, and which are the ones I should avoid. Common problems, and flaws. Oh, and how big a tire you can run on a stock suspension. I dont plan to "off road" my jeep, just lake runs and moderate daily use.

First Question. How do I get a big ass aluminum three level fin to mount on my roof, and how do I fit 27" wheels?

Okay, that was a joke. Anywhoo, Howdy! :)
'87 Wagoneer & a '87 Parts Carcass for sale

carnuck

Re: New guy..

Post by carnuck »

howdy back. Do you want a wag or truck? Different years have different issues and pluses. '78? up needs the frame checked by the gas tank for rot from the INSIDE due to crud next to the tank. How are you with a wrench and emission diagrams? Do you have emission test in your area?
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

Welcome,
IFSJA.org is not folding per say, it's just in a state of constant deterioration, but there are enough threads both here and there outline that issue. Your account there was simple to activate, there's an announcement at the top of each section that explains it.

So you want a FSJ.
Not a bad choice, they can be pretty comfy, made to perform well, do very well off-road when needed and actually have a fair amount of room. As long as you don't expect great daily driver gas milage out of a 5Klb brick shaped vehicle they are great rigs overall.

There's good and bad across all the years but I'll let the experts give you their views on that.
Biggest issues are lack of maintenance, rust both body and frame by fuel tank and hacked up electrical and mechanical systems from previous owners.
I am that previous owner :shock:
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Topic author
kirk

Post by kirk »

Thanks guys! I registered, and clicked the link, but nothing ever happened. Said I was still unallowed. Its fine tho, I'm here and have plenty reading to do in both places. In my county we do not have emissions testing at all, no. I am handy enough with a wrench for most maintenance items, and am not afraid to ask for help on what I dont understand. I work on Volkswagens constantly and have brought several back from the dead. I hope to find a Wagoneer, not a truck, and am not afraid to get a project that needs a little work. I'm just not that handy with electrical issues. Mechanical I can manage. Glad to be here, and welcome any and all advice.

srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

Welcome Kirk!

You have to ask yourself a few questions.

You say you are not going to do any off-roading but is this going to be a daily driver or part time driver?

Do you want something newer with more creature comforts or older?

Are you worried about MPG?

Are you worried about emissions where you live?

Is it just you or do you have a family to haul around?

Do you work on your own stuff?

I bring these things up because you have some options. IMO older rigs are easier to work on but parts availability is becoming an issue. Check out http://www.bjsoffroad.com, they specialize in FSJ parts but I think have reasonable prices. An automatic V8 is is nice but will have the worst MPG. Probably looking at 8 to 12 MPG. Some of these came with an inline 6 and manual tranny option. I have never owned one of these but I have seen people say they get from 16 to 22 MPG. Emissions is a concern for some, the late models had miles of vacuum hose and have a hard time passing todays emission standards. If you not worried about it then you can rip all that out.

Another big choice is truck body, or 2dr or 4dr wagon. 4dr is nice when hauling family and camping stuff. Trucks are nice for hauling parts :) Wagons also had a wide track option from 73 to 84 IIRC which have you fender flares so you could put bigger tires on without having to cut the fenders. As far as what size tires without lifting, it all depends on if you are willing to cut the fenders. The standard answer is 29" for narrow track FSJ's and 33" for wide track without rubbing. You can go from there by cutting fenders, lift kits and body lifts. It's all about what you will be doing with it and how you want it to look.

Common problems - Not too many design flaws IMO. You have to remember that anything older will need much more maintenance. This all general info and I am sure other will give you great info. I will say that I have never met a better bunch of helpful guys and girls so you made a good choice. :-bd
Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer "Super Chief" 5.3L drivetrain/ WT conversion / TT's Fabworks SOA and SF / 37x12.5x17 BFG A/T KO3 http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 294&p=3364

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep’s temp going towards that 220F mark, I’m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

Topic author
kirk

Post by kirk »

Thanks! Ill answer your questions below.
srobertsfsj wrote:Welcome Kirk!

You have to ask yourself a few questions.

You say you are not going to do any off-roading but is this going to be a daily driver or part time driver? Part time driver. Camping. Trips to the lake. Short drives to work.

Do you want something newer with more creature comforts or older? Not sure what you mean. I dont need AC, power rear window would be nice tho.

Are you worried about MPG? Nope. Im not driving far or often.

Are you worried about emissions where you live? Nope. We dont have it.

Is it just you or do you have a family to haul around? I have friends. And a dog. I like the idea of the Wagoneer so I can sleep in the back.

Do you work on your own stuff? Yes I do. I can figure anything out with a manual or directions, and Im not afraid to try. My dad used to say "Why pay a man to do your work? If he can do it, why cant you?"

Again, glad to be here. Thanks for the welcome.

ClovisMan

Post by ClovisMan »

Hello Kirk! I'm in Texas as well. Welcome to the fold. If I had to do it over again, I would probably start with a Cherokee Chief in the wide track variety. They can fit 31's stock and still give you the room in the back for umm....sleeping and what not. A Grand Wagoneer is a Narrow Track and 31's will rub in factory form. I have an 88 Grand Wagoneer, but it's got an SOA lift on 2 inch springs and full width axles so it's not really an apples to apples comparison.LOL

What part of Texas are you in? I'll help you find one. I love truck hunting, but the spouse would kill me if I drug another one home. :mrgreen:
88 Grand Wagoneer - The Money Pit - 360/727/NP208 - SOA/SF - Lots of other stuff SOLD
78 Cherokee Chief - Copper - 360/TH400/Quadratrac - 4 inch BDS lift - 33 inch tires SOLD

Topic author
kirk

Post by kirk »

Hiya Clovis! I'm north of dallas a bit. I've been scouring craigslist, but I'm hesistant to buy one without knowing the ups and downs. Im not an impulse shopper when it comes to cars. If I were buying a VW bus, I would know the ins and outs of the years, here, im in the dark. I dont want to post pics and everyone be like: "You know thats got the zumba transmission you cant buy parts for and will break with 30's on it right? Nice going dumbass." Wanting to be educated before I pull the trigger.

ClovisMan

Post by ClovisMan »

kirk wrote:Hiya Clovis! I'm north of dallas a bit. I've been scouring craigslist, but I'm hesistant to buy one without knowing the ups and downs. Im not an impulse shopper when it comes to cars. If I were buying a VW bus, I would know the ins and outs of the years, here, im in the dark. I dont want to post pics and everyone be like: "You know thats got the zumba transmission you cant buy parts for and will break with 30's on it right? Nice going dumbass." Wanting to be educated before I pull the trigger.
Well thats the good thing about FSJ's. Pretty much the same for a lot of years. If you are truly serious about a Grand Wagoneer, just steer clear of the 84-85 with the funky front axle. Most everything else is the same minus electronics and creature comforts.It will have the AMC 360, TC727 transmission and the NP219-228-0r 229
88 Grand Wagoneer - The Money Pit - 360/727/NP208 - SOA/SF - Lots of other stuff SOLD
78 Cherokee Chief - Copper - 360/TH400/Quadratrac - 4 inch BDS lift - 33 inch tires SOLD

lindel

Post by lindel »

Irving native here. Lots of waggies, cherokees and a couple of J-trucks in the mix over the years. My personal preference would be around 78/79, but that's just me. I've had several 87s, and all were good vehicles. Most of them didn't survive the kids...

Ask away if you need to know something, we won't steer you wrong.
Lindel

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Welcome Kirk from AZ of the country. I would say get any FSJ that you can afford with some left in reserve for parts and repairs. I have an 84 and I put in a 208 and now I have to get in the front end and lock that "thinggy" in the diff. What the heck were they thinking. But overall you are the one making the decisions and all we can do is help with the stuff we did to ours or help you through the stuff that will come up against. HAPPY HUNTING :D .
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" ... DEAD!
"Hole in my pocket"... 1974 Cherokee 360/400/QT

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Another welcome from Az. :-h
Its the '83 & '84 Wags that have the front axle disconnect.
The '74 -'79 with the BW Quadratrac. It can be converted to the standard Dana 20 transfer case, just more work. The front axle changed in '80-'81 from pass drop to driver side drop ( drive shaft side).
Check the sale section on both boards. ;-)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

rstep

Post by rstep »

Aslo another welcome from AZ.
1977 Cherokee Sold
I Don't own One
Stuff I Make.
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5620

The PIG Smith

Post by The PIG Smith »

Welcome from Fort Wayne, Indiana
Bryan Smith
Fort Wayne, Indiana
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
- 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green --Daily Driver
1986 Jeep J20
- Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line -- Current Project
1982 Jeep J10
- Has become a Long Term Project.
1981 Jeep J20
- Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
- Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Welcome kirk! If you're in America's crotch, I'm in America's armpit, geographically speaking. ;) However, I was born and raised in the southwest and from what you've posted so far you seem like the kind of guy I'd give a beer too if you stopped by the garage when the roll-up is open. :-bd

kirk wrote: Part time driver. Camping. Trips to the lake. Short drives to work.

I dont need AC, power rear window would be nice tho.

Im not driving far or often.

I have friends. And a dog. I like the idea of the Wagoneer so I can sleep in the back.

I can figure anything out with a manual or directions, and Im not afraid to try. My dad used to say "Why pay a man to do your work? If he can do it, why cant you?"

Again, glad to be here. Thanks for the welcome.
Thanks for being so forthcoming with short answers to leading questions! I'm not that good, loquacious as I am, I tend to type way too much. Since you already like the idea of a Wagoneer, I say stick with that. Anything from 74' on will suit you fine. Chero's were available with the "WideTrack", but if we're gonna be honest, that benefits very few people. A Widetrack will fit larger tires from the get go, but you're either looking for a trail-able rig where narrowness counts or an all out wheeler where fenders get cut anyways.

74 was the switch to a Dana 44 front axle with disc brakes and that's what matters. The D20(part-time,Iron case/gear drive), BW1339(full time/chain drive/high and low range) and even the 1305(1339 without low range) behind a TH400, NP208(part-time chain drive), NP219(part/full time, no low)/228(part/full time, high and low range)/229(228 with a limited slip instead of an open diff for full time operation), are all good 4x4 systems for "getting to the lake".

The "creature comforts" question leaves a lot to be interpreted. I'm a hard core, gung-ho combat soldier and most of what I ride in is "helmets mandatory, seatbelts-discouraged". My J-10 over 45mph is over 100db inside, or by military standards, double hearing protection required. On the interstate to Colorado I could barely hear my stereo cranked all the way up. My climate controls have two settings, "off" and "defrost-full blast". I used washers under the seat mounts to adjust the seat to me and now there are no adjustments in anything, from the seat to the side mirrors and that's the way I like it!

You being single with a dog and carefree, may find yourself with something wearing a little white tanktop next to you and wanting to have a conversation, so carpet and window seals might be a benefit. With a wagoneer you have a 98% chance of getting such things right out of the box.

Well, it's my bedtime so I'm gonna cut this short, but in short, get a 74 or newer Wag that "looks right" and go from there. Even the disco front axles will be fine for "camping,getting to the lake, etc". ;)
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
kirk

Post by kirk »

Well Redone, I have always wanted to visit your neck, or armpit of the woods. If my travels take me in your direction, I'd take you up on that beer. Unless its an odouls or something. Then I'll bring my own. ;)

Search continues. Did these come with sunroofs? I'd love a green or blue one, but cant seem to find one. lots of whites.