Milemarker Part time kits

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
ScottsMojo

Milemarker Part time kits

Post by ScottsMojo »

I recently ran across a deal on a couple pt kits. One is std, one is 16% od. The od kit has two morse chains. By the photo I assume the od kit is the smaller gear and shorter chain?

I also got a seal kit and a pr of MM premium hubs. Looking at the MM installation instruction this looks to be a fairly simple, straightforward install. Are there any tips or tricks to this? I'm going to install the std kit in one of my spare QT's so the OD kit might be available if anyone is interested.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350400889.170428.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350400909.062300.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

carnuck

Re: Milemarker Part time kits

Post by carnuck »

My old tcase has the O/D kit and it's great for people who drive highway all the time (and are tired of the high engine revs from low gears) but it also overdrives low range too. I'm totally amazed it still moved! I took the nailhead trans off and the output shaft to the QT was almost stripped clean of teeth!

Check my parts for sale near Seattle

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

The overdrive chain is 92 links and the regular is 96 links. The smaller sprocket is the OD one. Following the MM directions, you can't go wrong if you do. This can actually be done with the QT installed by splitting the case. Good Luck!
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

fulsizjeep wrote:The overdrive chain is 92 links and the regular is 96 links. The smaller sprocket is the OD one. Following the MM directions, you can't go wrong if you do. This can actually be done with the QT installed by splitting the case. Good Luck!
Thanks for the info! I think I am going to remove the TC to make this mod as I want to get a good look at the trans output shaft but now that I think about that I will be able to see the splines when the gears are removed?

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

see the splines when the gears are removed?
YES

Do yourself a favor and remove the low range before splitting or dropping the tcase.
Flint Boardman

Topic author
ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

fulsizjeep wrote:
YES

Do yourself a favor and remove the low range before splitting or dropping the tcase.
Good idea, I will do that. Should I need to look at anything while the low range unit is out?

Topic author
ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

carnuck wrote:My old tcase has the O/D kit and it's great for people who drive highway all the time (and are tired of the high engine revs from low gears) but it also overdrives low range too. I'm totally amazed it still moved! I took the nailhead trans off and the output shaft to the QT was almost stripped clean of teeth!
I'm HOPING mine doesn't look like that... x_x

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

ScottsMojo wrote:
fulsizjeep wrote:
YES

Good idea, I will do that. Should I need to look at anything while the low range unit is out?
Look at the mating 10 spline inside the sun gear. That steel is harder than the tail shaft but still takes a beating if the shaft has worn 10 spline.

The QT manual and other QT stuff is in a link in my signature.
Flint Boardman

Topic author
ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

Thanks Flint. You da man! :-bd

Does anyone besides BJ's have the QT seal kit?

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Glad to be of assistance. With BJs IFSJA discount, I doubt you will find a better price on a seal kit. I see them on eBay occssionally but rarely for less than $25. The same kit is available from most 4x4 shops that also carry TCL1 fluid. Quadratec is one.
Flint Boardman

Topic author
ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

fulsizjeep wrote:Glad to be of assistance. With BJs IFSJA discount, I doubt you will find a better price on a seal kit. I see them on eBay occssionally but rarely for less than $25. The same kit is available from most 4x4 shops that also carry TCL1 fluid. Quadratec is one.
I agree - BJ's has them for $17 w/discount. I was just curious, I haven't seen them on other sites.

Goodbye TCL1 fluid, for now!

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

If you've never cracked a QT apart before you might want to drop the entire case, definitely take the low range unit out first. A few years back I put a PT kit in my '79 Cherokee. Started out cracking the case in half and ended up needing to drop the front half of it. I think most of my problem was at the time I had no clue what I was doing, got it back together after much help from Flint(THANKS AGAIN!).
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

Topic author
ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

Grand_Wag_85 wrote:If you've never cracked a QT apart before you might want to drop the entire case, definitely take the low range unit out first. A few years back I put a PT kit in my '79 Cherokee. Started out cracking the case in half and ended up needing to drop the front half of it. I think most of my problem was at the time I had no clue what I was doing, got it back together after much help from Flint(THANKS AGAIN!).
Great advice. Fortunately, I have a couple extra QT units and I am going to use one of those for this install, and then swap it in. Thats the plan anyway. The teardown will reveal what actually happens... Could end up with a transmission output shaft operation! :-ss

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

ScottsMojo wrote:
Grand_Wag_85 wrote:If you've never cracked a QT apart before you might want to drop the entire case, definitely take the low range unit out first. A few years back I put a PT kit in my '79 Cherokee. Started out cracking the case in half and ended up needing to drop the front half of it. I think most of my problem was at the time I had no clue what I was doing, got it back together after much help from Flint(THANKS AGAIN!).
Great advice. Fortunately, I have a couple extra QT units and I am going to use one of those for this install, and then swap it in. Thats the plan anyway. The teardown will reveal what actually happens... Could end up with a transmission output shaft operation! :-ss
Hopefully it'll be alright. Of the half a dozen or so QT Jeeps I've had and the 2 or 3 TH400's I've bought for parts I've yet to have an issue with the tail shaft. Now that I say this my next QT rig will have a BAD shaft...LOL =))
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!